xls missing in smart select

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Edd, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Edd

Edd Member

I think over the last 3 days I've began all posts saying how hapy I am running office 2007 in a brand new windows xp VM. So there it was.

One thing that's missing is that smart select doesn't list xls as a file type to associate with excel 2007. it has xlk (whatever that is), xlt, and all the now xml based ones.. but not xls. I've associated xls with the windows applications thing under parallels through finder, but thought you guys might want to know you need to add xls to the smart select for excel.

Unless ofcourse something is wrong with my installation.. which could easily be the case.

Edward

2. Edd

Edd Member

I just noticed that it doesn't even recogise that powerpoint is on the VM even when running.. so maybe something is wrong with my VM...

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds like an issue with your Windows install as you pointed out. Try right-clicking on a powerpoint presentation when in Windows and finding Powerpoint as the application to open it.

4. Edd

Edd Member

powerpoint (part of office 2007 student edition) loads fine and opens ppt files in windows without a hitch. but populating shared applications shows all office components except powerpoint, and the xls thing is still missing.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

And opening a file did not add it? Strange.

When you have your VM open go Applications-> Populate

6. Edd

Edd Member

i've clicked populate a few times.

opening a powerpoint file didn't add it, and opening xls files does not add that option either.

vm is still very fast (2.4Ghz MBP with 4Gb RAM).. just odd

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

That is odd, I'm not really sure sort of sitting down and playing with the computer.

8. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

At home i have the same problem, but at work not.

Very strange......

9. Edd

Edd Member

I uninstalled office 2004, now both the xls filetype and the powerpoint options are available.

probably a coincidence, but it happened.

10. RodM

RodM Bit poster

Did you "update" your version of office 2007?

If so, then you missed the press release from micro$oft, that they are not supporting old formats anymore.

11. Edd

Edd Member

Maybe that's a joke and I'm missing it, but the old formats are fully supported in my updated version of office 2007. With all the bugs in 2008 and lack of VB... I'm pretty grateful for parallels.

12. RodM

RodM Bit poster