Xorg: unknown type(0xffffffff)=0xff

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tomt21, Jun 29, 2007.

1. tomt21

tomt21 Bit poster

I have gentoo installed using genkernel (without genkernel it kernel paniced on startup) in parallels 3.0 on my mbp.

Having emerged xorg-x11 and installed parallels-tools I can't get startx to work. If I use xorgconfig and choose vga it will work in 8bits at very low resolution, but choosing vesa gives the error "unknown type(0xffffffff)=0xff".I have the xf86-vesa driver emerged.

Using X --configure chooses PRLVIDEO as the driver, but still gives the same error.

I've looked at the other xorg.conf files on here and mine doesnt seem to be much different.

I did just notice last night that there is a video option in the machine configuration where you can add video resolutions. I added 1280x1024 and 1024x768, which is what i was trying to use in my xorg.conf, but that didnt help.

Why won't it work?!

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

What does your /var/log/xorg.0.log looks like?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  3. tomt21

tomt21 Bit poster

I've checked the log, I can't easily cut and paste it here but the relevant lines seem to be:

Bad V_BIOS checksum
    Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
    unknown type (0xffffffff)=0xff
    VESA(0): VESA BIOS not detected

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Can you reinstall the parallel linux tool and do the following, reboot using the agp=off acpi=off as a parameter to the kernel? Make sure you only have allocated 512 Mb to the VM. And post the result.

5. tomt21

tomt21 Bit poster

I just tried that - it doesn't seem to have changed anything, it still complains about the V_BIOS in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I did a X --configure and its saying "VESA BIOS not detected" which I expect is my problem!

6. tomt21

tomt21 Bit poster

well i've also tried adding some video= option to my kernel but that hasnt helped either.

i tried this on vmware fusion beta and their vmware-tools won't even install in gentoo, so i'm assuming i won't be able to get a decent sized display in that either.

are there any distros that work reliably in parallels? I've looked through the supported list and the latest versions of ubuntu and debian arent there. i might give debian 4 a go and see what happens, i'd rather have gentoo but i suppose it will save me time compiling things!

7. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have kubuntu 7.04, kubuntu 7.10 alpha2, openSuse 10.2.

They all work well, though they have some issues when exiting, namely the screen gets garbled. Other then that they work very well

8. tomt21

tomt21 Bit poster

Ok, I'll try ubuntu instead, thanks for the help :)

9. tgall

tgall Bit poster

The answer here is you've misconfigured your kernel.

you need:

CONFIG_VM86=y