XP Activation Issue with Bootcamp - Still!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by marvmiller, Feb 7, 2007.

1. marvmiller

marvmiller Bit poster

I activated my Windows XP Bootcamp partition via Parallels with RC1 (or Beta), yet when I re-boot into boot camp, I still get the activation warning. I don't get that when I am running in Parallels. Now, I can't log into Boot Camp Windows because time has expired.

What can I do? Without reinstalling Windows Xp, what are my other choices?

Marvin

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

call microsoft, explain you have it in a Parallels virtual machine and they will reactivate it with you over the phone.. its quite simple... its a trivial process that takes less than 5 mins.

3. zesta

zesta Bit poster

Or...

Or, the Parallels team could actually respond to emails and postings on this board about the fact that one of their major new features (no activation needed for switching between Parallels and Boot Camp) DOES NOT WORK.

There have been multiple postings here, and I have emailed support, and they will not respond.

-Randy

4. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

You are expected to reactivate once in Parallels if you run your Boot Camp Windows XP partition as a VM under Parallels, according to the 3150 RC2 release notes: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

For this particular reactivation you may need to call Microsoft. Internet reactivation probably won't work.

Then you should not have to reactivate every time when you switch between Boot Camp and Parallels.

If you have already reactivated once under Parallels and Windows XP still asks you to reactivate every time you switch between Boot Camp and Parallels, then this will be a problem (partly Parallels and partly Microsoft, which introduced this crap activation in the first place).

If you can find a Corporate version of Windows XP (like me), then you will not have this problem since no activation is required.

[​IMG]

5. zesta

zesta Bit poster

I did activate it in Parallels, as per the instructions. I get the "you need to activate Windows" message when I boot natively (Boot Camp). I have yet to see any response to the numerous postings here with the exact same issue. I have yet to find anyone who has gotten it to work without using a coporate XP key.

-Randy

6. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Your MUCH better doing what 007 suggested, and re-installing your XP using a corporate copy/key until the next final release - where hopefully this issue is completely resolved.
    Apparantly, you only have a certain amount of activations before M$ pull the plug on you and stop activating your copy.
    I am also using a corporate XP, and have NEVER had to activate it, and have no problems whatsoever regarding updates. It also allows you to play around with your VM settings to your hearts content, with no drawbacks at all (re-activation).
    I know it's not exactly legal, but you have paid for a copy of XP - so it is pretty well justified.

7. jonsun

jonsun Junior Member

why run boot camp in parallels? of what benefit is it? does it let you use your video card as if it is running natively?

8. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

Except for that whole breaking the law thing... which is, you know... illegal. Some people have a need to stay with-in the law. For alot of people it's not even an ethics thing. Personal resons for staying legal could be lots of resons. Maybe the dude is on probation, maybe the guy has a need to use it in an envirment that requires all software to be legit inorder to connect to it's network, etc...

9. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

If what you said is true, then my advice to the OP is that he/she should just avoid running the Boot Camp partition under Parallels. Windows XP, Windows Vista and any other softwares that require activation will have this problem.

That's why I avoid software that needs these kinds of activation. I also have several legitimate copies of Windows XP, but now I am using a Corporate version of XP on my PC and Macbook and I regret ever paying Microsoft for those copies. I will not "upgrade" to Vista for this and other reasons.

[​IMG]

10. strells

strells Product Expert

If you mean why would you use a Boot Camp installation for Parallels, the reason is you only need to install Windows once and can switch between booting natively into Windows for Boot Camp and using Windows along side OS X with Parallels.

Steve