XP hangs on shutdown or restart

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KraigS, Dec 2, 2009.

1. KraigS

KraigS Bit poster

I am currently experiencing a problem where XP will not shut down, restart, or reboot. It always hangs, usually at the black screen where it says it is OK to turn off your computer, but sometimes earlier with just a black screen. The reset command does not work, so the virtual machine is left in an unusable state. Quitting and restarting Parallels does not help. I can restore the virtual machine with Time Machine, and can get it working again by also reinstalling Parallels, but the same problem always occurs again when I try to shutdown or reboot windows.

I am using Parallels 4.0.3848, which is supposed to be compatible with Snow Leopard. I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard a few weeks ago and did not experience this problem until recently, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem. I had never had any problems under Leopard.

I also have a Linux virtual machine, which is working fine, so I am thinking this must have something to do with Windows XP.

I tried removing and reinstalling Parallels Tools from Windows, but I can't complete the process because Windows will not restart once the tools are removed, so there is no way to reinstall them.

Thanks for any suggestions, as I am currently unable to use Windows XP at all.

Kraig

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Did you try to check disk validity with Windows disks utility?

3. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers