XP Installation Damaged, Files now Inaccessible

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by black_murtagh, Jun 17, 2007.

1. black_murtagh

black_murtagh Bit poster

Hi Guys

Upon booting my windows installation one day, it ran a checkdisk and stuffed my windows directory, and possibly some of my other files (its the problem where it 'deletes orphaned files' because the index is corrupted or something), ive had this happen to me before on a pc.

now my windows installation wont boot even in safe mode. when the logon window should appear, i get the message "winlogon.exe - bad image" - "\\sfc.dll is not a valid windows image".......

im not sure if there is a way to boot back to my windows cd to do a clean install without formatting or to boot to dos and run the "sfc /scannow" command which should replace al windows files to their installation state

I need access to some important files that are 'hopefully' still on the disk image, is there any way i can access them, any ideas?????

thanks in advance.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Use the Parallel Explorer, it enables you to open the windows hard disk without starting parallel.

3. black_murtagh

black_murtagh Bit poster

where can i find that?

4. black_murtagh

black_murtagh Bit poster

is it only available in PD 3?

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Yes, Parallels Explorer is only available in Parallels Desktop 3.0, though it is for the exact kind of situation that you are describing.

6. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

You find it in the Parallels folder in Applications. But it doesn't seem to see my Drives because they are on external drives.... it that a Bug or a design flaw ?

7. CrookedGrin

CrookedGrin Bit poster

Parallels Explorer doesn't help

I am having a similar problem, where my Windows Boot Camp install gives me a "Bad Image" message when I try to start, either from Boot Camp or from Parallels. Parallels Explorer is useless in this case, because when I try to open the "My Boot Camp", P.E. tells me it's "unable to open the virtual machine". Any other ideas?