XP installation on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Nigeldav, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Nigeldav

Nigeldav Bit poster

I am wanting to install XP in my Bootcamp partition. I installed Parrellels Desktop 4.0 , created my Bootcamp partition. But when I ,when I select Add New Virtual Machine I don't get any "Custom" mode of installation ( as the help instructions says I should) , it just goes into asking for the license key for the XP disc. I don't see the screen in the help instructions . It just starts the installation procedure. It does offer an option to select where the installation goes but does not result in the screens shown in your help called "Boot Camp Disk" ( a screen with Disk option, position option and a small window showing "partition, size, type, system name"). Is you help out of date or am I doing the wrong thing

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Windows XP should be installed first using Boot Camp assistant,
    After that just start Parallels Desktop it will recognize Windows Xp in Boot Camp and create VM
    You cannot install Windows XP in Boot Camp using Parallels

3. Nigeldav

Nigeldav Bit poster

Boot camp installation not recognised

I have done as you said and successfully installed XP using bootcamp. I have checked this and booted into it. Parallels seems unable to see the bootcamp installation. I have uninstalled bootcamp and reinstalled it twice now but without success it is still unable to recognize it. Whats going wrong ?

Please help me..........

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please create ticket in support
    and in subject provide output for command
    diskutil list