XP is frozen solid. What can I do?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by brightbelt, Jul 14, 2007.

1. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

Hi,
    I'm the one with the update problems here again. I did an XP System restore and tried installing updates again and then XP froze on the reboot.

All I know to do so far is to do contr/alt and get back to my Mac Desktop. That's fine in itself but I do need to un-freeze XP Pro if possible.

And Contr/Alt/Del doesn't seem to work or un-freeze XP even though it is a virtual windows enviroment.

I really need assistance. And I'm going to bed for now - hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Many Thanks for any help, Frank B.

2. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

apparently, most virtual machines will only work with XP SP2. It will let you install SP1, but you won't be able to install the SP2 update..

Thanks, ...Frank B.

3. brightbelt

brightbelt Member

Here's an update/qualifier. Apparently, I was wrong. I finally got the update to SP2 done thru sheer persistance.

But I still have the reboot problem - XP freezes as it comes up. I can get around it by waiting until the XP moving bar-Intro-screen finishes and pressing F8 over and over.

That waits til after the option to boot into safe mode is really possible but it's soon enough to do something, I know not what :confused:

Thanks, Frank B.

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

brightbelt,

Please check the amount of memory you've allocated to the VM (click on the Memory in VM configuration window). Please make sure that it doesn't exceed the Reserved Memory Limit (Parallels Desktop men - Preferences - Memory) and it doesn't take all available Mac memory, you should memory free for the Mac OS. Otherwise it may lead to the kind of hang-ups you are describing.