XP on 4.0 display and hardware problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by brettb, Sep 15, 2009.

1. brettb

brettb Junior Member

I have had a number of problems with Parallels over the past year and I am hoping that someone will have some solutions.

I was running Parallels 3.0 (updating builds as they became available) on a late 2007 Macbook with OS 10.5 (with updates as they became available) My systems has a 120 GB hard drive, Intel 2.2 and 4 GB ram. I am currently using Mac OS 10.6.1, Parallels 4.0.3846 and a Bootcamp (3.0) partition as my virtual machine. Windows XP SP3
    My original problem was that the following message haunted every attempted start.

Window could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration Problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

The work around is to go into the configuration panel and select the Bootcamp drive. Wait for the new configuration to take affect and then start Parallels. I am sure that this is not the intended process but even after I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 I still had to use the same sequence to successfully start Windows.

The primary (only) reason for having windows on my Mac is to run AutoCad. Under 10.5X and 4.0 AutoCad ran fine although not as well as on a native Windows machine. After upgrading to OS 10.6 my display becomes corrupted while running AutoCad in every mode other than Coherence. It almost appears as if the screen has been shrunk down and is being tiled at a very small scale across the entire display.

I have studied the forums and the knowledge base and I am stuck. The video driver from within windows is listed as a Parallels display adapter. I dont know if that is the problem or if there is another possibility.

2. brettb

brettb Junior Member

Ignore this Thread

This is a duplicate thread because the initial post did not appear until 18 hours later.