XP programs run S__L__O__W__L__Y

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jepalmer, Jul 16, 2007.

1. jepalmer

jepalmer Bit poster

My XP programs are running very slowly. The following example has win2003 excel loading and saving times in seconds:

EXCEL
    parallels xp win xp
    file load time 0:09 0:06
    file save time 0:18 0:03

By way of comparison, MacExcel loaded in 0:03 seconds.

The following example has a windows graphing program (Golden Software's Grapher) loading and saving times in seconds:

GRAPHER
    parallels xp win xp
    file load time 1:46 0:25
    file load time 0:46 0:06

graph reload 0:37 0:03

change file 0:50 0:03
    0:38 0:04
    0:48 0:04
    0:48 0:04
    0:48 0:03

All files were from the same server location.

Any suggestions as to ways I can speed up these programs?

Thanks.

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

This can happen if you allocate too much memory to Parallels and starve OSX for memory. What is your real memory on your Mac? How much did you allocate to Parallels in the install process?

3. jepalmer

jepalmer Bit poster

Mac memory is 2 GB.

I had 1024 MB allocated, with windows virtual memory paging Low: 1536 and High: 3072.
    I switched to allocating 512 MB, without changing virtual memory paging, and it made no difference.

I have no idea if this is related, but lately I have been getting the following error message:
    "The MacFUSE file system is not resonding. You can eject this volume immediately, but unsaved changes may be lost."
    The keep trying response doesn't work, so I have to use the eject volume option, but I'm not sure if anything is being ejected.

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Do a search on these forums about MacFuse. I seem to recall others having problems.

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The latest update should fix most MacFUSE related problems. I'm not sure about this specific case though. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools if this update doesn't help.

6. jepalmer

jepalmer Bit poster

ALL: thanks for the help

Questions:
    1) What is MacFUSE and can I just delete it? I have a folder: MacFuse Core 0.4.0 and a file: MacFuse Core.pkg.
    2) I have the latest parallels update, so that is of no help at the moment. Therefore if I unistall and reinstall Parallels Tools, will it do anything nasty to the windows side; e.g. delete all of my windows programs and folders? The manual makes uninstall/install look very straightforward.

Thanks.