XP Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rugger5, Sep 10, 2007.

1. rugger5

rugger5 Bit poster

I am having major issues with XP and am at my wits end. Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction, and and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Here's the scoop:

I have a MacBook with 2G RAM
    I have Parallels 3.0 Build 4128
    I have Windows XP Professional version 2002 (SP0 as far as I can tell, I know for a fact it is not SP2)

I only need XP for one writing program - Writer's Blocks 3

XP seems to run ok when its just sitting there idle
    I run into trouble when I start writing using WB3
    I get a few sentences/ blocks into my work and XP reboots on me.
    A blue screen pops up saying it is shutting down to protect my computer. At one point, it said something about my virtual memory. I tried to go in and adjust the memory allocations for Parallels and for XP itself (bumped XP up to 826MB, and Parallels up to 900MB). That seemed to solve the problem- at least I thought. Now I am right back to where I started with XP shutting down unexpectedly on me, but this time the blue screen says something about "page fault in non paged area" and at the bottom of the screen is something about a memory dump (the screen flashes so fast I can't get more than a glance at it all).

So I have no idea what is going on with my virtual machine. I really doubt the problem is Writer's Blocks 3, its a very basic word processor program and never gave me any trouble on my old Gateway running XP. WB3 does not need any service pack to function. It really seems like the problem is with XP as soon as I place any kind of memory demand on it, but I've bumped up the memory allocations quite a bit and the only result i've noticed is that it sometimes takes a little longer for XP to shut down on me now.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be incredibly grateful.

2. BoL

BoL Bit poster

Install updates in safe mode

I realize the original poster has long since moved on, but this was the only thread I found when hunting for a solution to the same problem.

Here's how I recovered. I had installed Win XP Pro with SP1. The VM would crash within a minute of boot, every time, with the BSOD message "page fault in non-paged area."

1. I booted in safe mode, and it did not crash.

2. I installed SP2 (which did not happen automatically; see this page for where to get the download).

3. Thereafter, Windows Update did the trick, and I was able to get my VM all the way to current, and it does not crash.