XP VM boots to black screen, stalls

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TomBridge, Dec 28, 2010.

1. TomBridge

TomBridge Bit poster

Hello,

I have a Parallels 5 install (most recent build) that will not launch its Windows XP VM. The machine was suspended for some time, and when resumed did not properly come up. After a forced restart of the VM, I cannot proceed in Safe Mode, Safe mode with prompt, or Last Known Config, let alone in regular mode. The screen just shows show black, with a white mouse cursor in the center.

Here is what I have tried so far:

- Reinstall of Parallels the easy way
    - Full removal via command line of Parallels and reinstall of the application
    - Create a new VM and copy the .hdd from the old system into the new VM and select it as the boot disk.
    - Attempted to reinstall parallels tools from the black screen (unsuccessful despite waiting 30 minutes)

I would love some guidance as to what else to try in this situation. For now I am building another VM that I can try to port the data to from the old VM. Help would be nice.

2. Matthew Middione

Matthew Middione Bit poster

Did you ever figure out the solution to this problem? I am also experiencing it...

3. RaphaëlL

RaphaëlL Bit poster

Hi,

I do have the exact same problem with my V4 and Windows XP... which untill now, was working fine....

Did you get a solution to solve this issue ?

Thanks

Raphaël

4. teal4two

teal4two Bit poster

I just had this problem after rebooting Mac. I think problem was Mac grabbed the dvd and wouldn't let VM get it. I have had lots of problems with dvd. I configured and disconnected dvd before startup and things worked.