xp workgroup share from mac and network

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JasonBelec, Jul 24, 2008.

1. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

OK, this used to work until the latest rounds of updates from Apple and Parallels. Now I cannot get Parallels Tools to install, no matter what method I try in the forums. Deleting, uninstalling, cursing.... no avail. Printers work still, thank goodness, connection to ethernet devices like our xray machine work. Connection to the printer connected to the iMac from within XP works.

However I cannot see the XP machine anymore in the network listing on this Parallels iMac or any other iMac on the network anymore. I cannot get access to any share folders inside XP. All machines are the same work group. IPV6 is off. Sharing on, Firewalls seem to have all the same/appropriate ports open.

I've been struggling with this for a week, searching the boards. Googling implies this is generally a major issue. I'm not upset with anyone, I'm just looking for a solution to get back to productivity in the office.

Any suggestions and help would be welcome.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Make sure that CD_DVD-rom is set to enabled and connect at startup

3. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Thanks John, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. It seems to have the vmtools iso selected, the install always progresses, restarts, but doesn't appear to take hold.

4. John@Parallels

Did you check undo disks?

5. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Hi John, not sure I understand that last...

6. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

OK I found that, should I have it selected? If yes, what of the 3 options should I choose?

7. John@Parallels

No, it default is cleared.
    Did you try to reinstall Parallels Desktop?

8. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Hi John, thanks for sticking with me on this.

OK so my settings seem OK.

Yes I've tried re-installing. Uninstalling, reinstalling, command line deletion of files as explained in a few threads. Totaling about 10 tries so far. I've even tried to go back to a previous version, no go.

Tools installs, reboots, but it always has the option to install available. Since key features are not working I'm assuming it has not installed fully.

9. John@Parallels

Antivirus, firewall on Windows side (Norton, ZoneAlarm etc)?

10. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Hi John, my apologies I've been out of town.

I had deactivated Avast, the only thing I used. Didi it again to be sure and reinstalled Tools, same problems.

11. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Did a reinstall complete of Parallels Desktop 5608, Parallels Tools doesn't auto install either.

12. John@Parallels

Please check that Server service is running
    Start -run -services.msc

About Tools, make sure that CD-DVD is enabled and connect at startup selected

13. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Ok back again. This latest command you've asked me to run - doesn't in Command Prompt under Windows or under Terminal as you didn't specify I tried both. Under Windows 'run' is not recognized and under terminal 'start' is not recognized.

I have also wiped Parallels as per instructions (including permissions), restarted, re-installed Parallels 5608, still Tools does not auto install, after manually starting things run, restart Windows, Tools still not istalle or at least not properly as the option exists and we still can't see shared folders on the network.

14. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

An update as a refresher, Windows in Parallels can see the Mac host system. So far so good.

However Other Mac systems and even the host computer cannot see the shares from Widows under Parallels.

Printing is not an issue from Windows, the host Mac or other Mac's on the network in any direction.

Internet is accessible through the network from the Windows under Parallels and from the host computer.

Network devices like our Xray machine are seen and can be utilized in Windows.

So the only thing that seems to still not work is sharing a Windows folder so that the networked Mac's can pull the Xray's up as needed.

15. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Also when re-installing tools, the little install window does state I'm re-installing the current/latest version, this is getting surreal.

16. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Ahaha, re-installed tools again, this time Windows came back up and ran tools, the windows now states it will replace 5604 with 5608..... So I said sure, why not!

Restarted Windows...

Stopped Virtual Machine

Started Virtual Machine

PFS// (whatever) icon still not o the desktop. Still thinks it needs tools installed. Shared folders still not visible.

17. John@Parallels

You can put link from c:\program files\Parallels\Parallels Tools to desktop (copy that)

18. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Ok, but that isn't the real issue. I was just making sure I'd passed along all the information.

The sharing issue is killing me, I'm going to have install Cygwyn to Rsync on that machine so I can get the necessary files and keep them upto date during the day as this is a real headache.

19. John@Parallels

20. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

I guess not - not sure what that is. This is not my area of expertise.

And now you want me to goto another support site that I have to register for to find an answer? Without even stating what I'm looking for?