xp workgroup share from mac and network

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JasonBelec, Jul 24, 2008.

1. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

I was directed by another that I was doing the

Start -run -services.msc

incorrectly.

Assuming you were asking me to click on the first 2 as buttons and type in the last I got a window 'Services' open and if your asking about the 2 Parallels services, they are both 'Started' and 'Automatic'.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hm, actually there is no need to register, as I pointed you to topic with ready to use answer.
    Situation with networking is very hard to investigate, without knowing topology
    Probably the best way is to check also Microsoft.com for kb articles related to Network neighborhood

3. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Well I can assure you I cannot access a solution at the link you have provided without registering, providing a credit card, just so I can have 7 days free and then get reemed and I'm sure plenty more SPAM. Sounds like I'm hosed no matter what, I'll just nuke everything back to square 1 and if after installing the issue persists, I'll look at the competing product to Parallels and pass it on to the community I represent.

Strange support practices, new one for me.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Here is not support team, we are trying to help without any obligation

5. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

File Sharing Help

Jason,

I think John was trying to get you to check to make sure Windows XP's "Server" service is running. Without this service, file sharing doesn't work.

Some things to try:
    1. Make sure the "Server" service is started. - Click on "Start", then "Run" (or press WinKey+R) and type "services.msc" into the box and hit enter. Find the listing for "Server" and make sure it is set to "Automatic" and "Started". To change these settings, double-click the entry and a properties dialog box will appear. Change startup type to "Automatic" then click "Apply". Next click "Start" and then "OK". Close the Services window.

2. Make sure File and Printer Sharing is installed. - Click "Start", then "Settings", then "Control Panel", then "Network Connections". Right-click "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties". You should see "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". If it is not there, click the "Install..." button, then doubleclick "Service". Select "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and click "OK". Click "Close" to exit.

3. Make sure your item is shared. - I'm sure you've checked this, but just in case, right-click your drive or folder you wish to share and choose "Sharing and Security..." (for XP Home, Pro might be different.) Click the text "If you understand the security risks (etc...)". Run through the Wizard or just choose "Just enable file sharing" and click "OK". Check "Share this folder on the network" and enter a share name. Choose whether to "Allow network users to change my files" and then click "OK".

4. Make sure Windows Firewall (or other) is set to allow file sharing. - Click "Start", then "Settings", then "Control Panel". Open "Windows Firewall". Click the "Exceptions" tab and make sure "File and Printer Sharing" is checked. Click "OK" to exit. If you use a different firewall program, see it's help or manual for how to do the same thing there.

5. Make sure your workgroups match. - Click "Start", then "Settings", then "Control Panel". Open "System" then click the "Computer Name" tab. Click the "Change" button... Give your (virtual) computer a name that will be unique on the network and different from the Mac's computer name. Put the name of your workgroup into the Workgroup box. I use "WORKGROUP". Click "OK" and then "OK" again to exit. On the Mac OS X side, open "System Preferences" and choose "Network". Highlight your "Ethernet" or "AirPort" (or your main network interface), click "Advanced...", then the "WINS" tab. Type in your workgroup name or choose it from the dropdown menu. Click "OK" then click "Apply" and then quit System Preferences. Check with your IT guys or System Admin to see if you have a specific workgroup. Workgroups shouldn't be necessary, but setting it can help.

6. Check that NETBIOS is enabled. - Sometimes the computers still can't see each other, even Windows PCs on the same network with the same Workgroup. I find that force enabling NetBIOS helps in this case. Click "Start", then "Settings", then "Control Panel", then "Network Connections". Right-click "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties". Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list, click "Properties..." and then click the "Advanced..." button. Next click the "WINS" tab and finally choose the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" option. Click "OK", "OK" again, then "Close" to exit.

I have tested these settings and they work for me on my MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.5.4, Parallels 3.0 build 5608 and Windows XP Home SP3 set to use 512 MB of my 2 GB RAM. My VM is set to use the "Default Adapter" in "Bridged Networking" mode, but I also tested "Shared Networking" and they both work.

I hope these ideas help you solve your problem. Sometimes Windows networking can be crazy. Good Luck!

6. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Thank you SanJoseBen. I do appreciate your input as well as John's, however my system did not have anything strange from what you have helped describe as actions.

This is why it's so darn frustrating that a perfectly functioning system can be so messed up after both an Apple OS and Parallels, update. It's a first for me.

I have been screwing around with the Network and found that in Bridged mode I can get the system to be seen on the network bu assigning a different ip to the Windows component but in so doing lose connection to the Xray machine which is looking for a static IP. So it seems solvable, I'm just not savvy enough.

All the similar issues others on the forum are having really worry me as it does seem a major issue.

7. JasonBelec

JasonBelec Junior Member

Well for anyone else frustrated to all get out, perhaps I can offer some soothing...

1) No way, no how could I get things working again as they were and as is implied they will since the updates. Not good.

2) I altered the setup, in effect I made the Windows environment under Parallels it's own system, and provided the static IP the network needed for the Xray machine to work with the Xray software under Windows. The Mac is set to DHCP. This is done by ignoring the sharing, the cool features of Parallels. This allowed me to see the shares from the other Mac systems on the network and even the iMac that Parallels is installed on could now see the shares! Go figure!

3) I'm no expert, and I'm probably not that clear in my explanation due to the frustration of weeks of trying to figure this out. All the best.