Yosemite MBP not able to wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pankaj sharma, Nov 19, 2014.

1. pankaj sharma

pankaj sharma Bit poster

Running OS 10.10.1 with Win7 32 bit as Guest OS. If mac goes to sleep, there is no way to get my MBP respond after it. Its just a black screen. I have to restart the whole damn machine.
    PDP - 10.1.1

Please help

Peter Huynh likes this.
  2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Pankaj,

Does this happen when Parallels Desktop and the Virtual Machine is running or occurs normally without running Parallels Desktop.
    And may I know the version and build of Parallels Desktop for Mac you are using ? ( http://kb.parallels.com/4923 )

pankaj sharma likes this.
  3. pankaj sharma

pankaj sharma Bit poster

Build for Parallels DP is 10.1.1 (28614).
    This happens only when virtual machine is running otherwise I would have contacted apple for the issue.
    The screen goes black. I know the computer is on because my keyboard illuminates but apart from that nothing else.
    I can't kill the VM or PDP. I have no access to the host whatsoever.

4. Serkan_Ahtagil

Serkan_Ahtagil Bit poster

Same issue on same condition on my parallel desktop, too

5. Kênh_Haivl

Kênh_Haivl Bit poster

I have the same problem, Please help!

6. pankaj sharma

pankaj sharma Bit poster

anybody from parallels team?
    Guys we need real help here.
    I am going to lose my hard drive due to hard resets every time this happens.

7. Daniel_James

Daniel_James Bit poster

I can confirm this exact issue with Parallels 10.1.1 running Windows 8.1 as guest and the latest version of Yosemite as host. I will add that it doesn't happen always but it happens often.

8. koppah

koppah Bit poster

I also have the same problem. It only occurs with a Parallels VM running - OS X itself has no issues resuming from sleep normally.

9. Blahman

Blahman Junior Member

Same here but I also get a 'error 68' message. I have to delete and reinstall the whole bloody application. If I don't have Internet access (which I don't at work), I can't install at all. I've reported this (twice) and they say it's been escalated, but no ETA.

This is a daily frustration which is impacting my work. PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!

10. Scott_Jones

Scott_Jones Bit poster

Add me to the list of previously happy users who have become frustrated and discouraged with Parallels. "not every time but often" does describe it. I have set my power option to 'always on' but that has not helped.
    Does anyone know of a configuration that reduces the likelihood of this happening if/until the problem is identified an fixed?
    Almost every time my Apple goes to sleep or into screensaver mode, Parallels will lock up. It only started after the Yosemite upgrade.

11. HendraP

HendraP Bit poster

This happen to me also, MBP Late 2011 15" using SSD MX100,
    OS Yosemite 10.10.2, using PD 10.0.2 (27712),
    mac -power setting :
    - display sleep 1 min
    - computer sleep 15 min,
    when the screen turn black, and i wait 5 minutes, screen cannot turn on, i have to push the power button to restart....
    but weird thing, I can put the password & press enter,
    I don't know, maybe something messed up with mac lock screen & PD ??

12. MickeyK

MickeyK Bit poster

Can Parallels Support Team speed up the right fix for sincere customers as soon as possible?

This happen to me also, I had sent out my problem report to Parallels for more than a week or two. Have not got back any technical support yet from Parallels till now.

MBP mid 2014 13" using 512GB SSD,
    OS Yosemite 10.10.2, using PD10.1.4 (28883)
    mac -power setting:
    - display sleep 3 min
    - computer sleep 15 min,
    After having entered sleep mode, while I wanted to wake up my MBP (hitting more than 5 or 6 keys on keyboard), the screen kept leaving in black. Lasting for more than 5 or 6 minutes, still screen cannot be turning on (waking up), I had to push the power button to do forced H/W restart. Sometimes, it was quite weird, I can put the password & press enter to get back the right screen in the due dark screen, just like someone shooting in the dark and hit the target by luck.

I don't know, maybe there is something of PD10 messed up with Mac's new OS (Yosemite) as to locking the screen while it was in sleep mode ??

13. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,
    Could you please generate a Problem Report ID as suggested at : http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and share the Problem Report ID number here so that we
    could check it for you.

14. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,
    The issue has already been reported to our development team and they are working on a fix.
    Please subscribe to the update summary at http://kb.parallels.com/122720 to track the changes.

15. MickeyK

MickeyK Bit poster

Hi Maheesh and All,
    As an unhappy customer, I will keep watching my MBP & PD-10 sleep mode problems ... Allow me to share you with my temp solution and machine settings for my ticket. Problems of mine: [Parallels #2081941] and [Parallels #2078775] Yosemite MBP not able to wake from sleep? Q1 from PD-10 support team: Could you please provide us with the additional information about "PD-10 power saving functions". Is it the Windows (Guest operation system) configuration or Virtual machine settings?
    Answers:
    A1: It is the settings for both PD-10 and Win7 guest, as shown in attached figure captions in ppt file. In PD-10 preference, choose "Option" -> "Optimization" -> "Power Supply" -> click "Max or best performance" instead of "best battery life". In guest Win7's "power saving plan", choose "Parallels default setting" instead of "power saving or long battery life mode"
    A2: The past records of mine, among ~ 20 events of entering/existing sleep mode (or Yosemite's sleep/suspension mode?) in a week ... I encountered 2 or 3 times that "Yosemite MBP" was not able to wake up correctly from sleep mode and is with a full dark screen (resuming from sleep mode after entering by either power on-off key, or by Mac OS power saving control mode automatically!)
    A3: Having set up the A1 conditions for my MBP Yosemite & PD-10, the current record is 10 days without happening that troublesome Q1 again.

Attached Files:

16. WarrenS1

WarrenS1 Bit poster

Any update on this? I'm getting the same problem

17. MatthewJ1

MatthewJ1 Bit poster

Hi there

I experience a problem that sounds similar, however I am able to recover from it by *plugging in* my MBP to a power source, then I can see the log in screen, log in, and then I can unplug it from power, and thus resume from sleep mode.

It seems to happen when I close my MBP lid when I have been plugged in to power, and then try to resume using my computer by opening my lid but in a different location - ie. after I having unplugged my MBP (eg. I go somewhere) else, but not yet plugged it in. When I do this my screen is black, but as other posters have said, the lights on the keys are on, and the computer seems to be 'on' (in one form or another).

I found this thread after searching on the problem, I assume there must be a setting somewhere to change to fix this - not totally sure if it is my OSX sleeping or my Windows 8.1 sleeping, or a combination of both.

Cheers
    Matt

18. JeffM2

JeffM2 Bit poster

I'm also having this same issue. Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

19. Maxim1

Maxim1 Bit poster

Could you please give any update regarding this issue? Do you have any solution?

20. RobertZ1

RobertZ1 Bit poster

What typically causes this is the Parallels VM going to sleep/screen lock mode, (usually, when it's in full screen mode), and then the Mac goes to sleep or has its screen locked. For whatever reason, Parallels can't handle this common scenario with the screens locked at both the Mac and VM levels. When you come back and see the black screen, just tap your delete/bck-space key several times, (to clear any inadvertent characters you may have typed into the password box, (that you can't see due to the black screen), and you should see your Mac keypad light up. Then after you're sure you've back-spaced enough to clear the hidden password box, enter your Mac password carefully. Then, you should see the Mac's screen come back, with the VM's lock screen showing. It appears to me that the Mac is sitting their waiting for its password to entered, but due to the double level screen lock, the screen stays black, so just carefully type in your password and hit enter, and it should unlock the Mac.

I also went into System Preferences->Energy Saver, (and possibly, the Security&Privacy settings too), and played around with my settings. I initially set it up for the Mac to NEVER go to sleep, and rebooted, and then, when I changed it back to turn the display off and/or sleep after 10-15 minutes, I stopped having the black screen issue altogether. Hopefully, this hack/fix will work for you too, and if not, the first solution I gave above, should allow you to avoid rebooting etc. altogether. It's a shame that we can't get better support on some of these common problems involving basic functionality such as the screen(s) locking, or the Mac going to sleep and turning off all USB ports etc., (thereby crippling the VM if it's dependent on a USB device e.g., a VM running on a Windows To Go flash drive, or external HD etc.).