"You have not selected the active volume"

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by dodja, Jan 23, 2007.

1. dodja

dodja Bit poster

Just got Parallels today and I've set up an XP VM, which works great (Cohesion is amazing!). Now I'm trying to use Transporter to image my old XP desktop over to a Parallels VM. But I can't get it to recognize my boot drive.

When I select the C: drive and click Continue, Transporter gives me the message "You have not selected the active volume or you haven't selected any volume with OS installed. You can migrate the selected volume(s) as data volume(s). Do you really want to continue?"

It seems that Transporter doesn't see that the C drive is bootable. I've tried uninstalling some apps such as NetDrive and MacDrive to see if they were interfering, but it still gives the same message.

This happens when connecting from the Mac -> PC's Transporter Agent, and also if I run Transporter directly on the PC. Transporter is the latest (1068 RC 1/8/2007).

Drive C is my bootable Windows drive. Bus type ATA; Device name: \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T1L0-c. In Windows Disk Management, the C: drive is marked Active, 57GB and is an NTFS partition that occupies the entire disk. I've run a full scan with chkdsk.

Sooo.... any ideas? I've not been able to find reports of this message anywhere.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. danielearwicker

danielearwicker Bit poster

Exactly the same problem

Using parallels 3120 on macbook pro and transporter 1068 on a dell laptop.

The Dell has two partitions on a single 3gb disk. First is NTFS with the OS in it, second is FAT32 and is completely empty. The OS is a fresh install of:

XP SP2
    Symantec AV 10.1.4.4000.
    Office 2003
    Cisco VPN Client

Transporter on the mac displays both partitions, it auto-selects the main OS partition but then says that it isn't the active volume.

3. dodja

dodja Bit poster

I found my problem tonight -- the Transporter Agent is hardcoded to look only for dirs named \WINDOWS and \WINNT. My Windows dir is \WINXP (it's a reinstallation). Where is your Windows dir?

Just for the heck of it, I hex-edited the agent exe (don't try this at home ;) to look for \WINXP, and on the next run it saw my C: drive as bootable. So that's a question to the Parallels team -- are there plans to look in boot.ini instead of hardcoded paths?

4. danielearwicker

danielearwicker Bit poster

Hmmm... that's a bit mysterious then! Because my source machine's windows directory is C:\WINDOWS

5. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

I am trying to migrate an older Computer image too. I am on the existing live XP real machine. Booted, running and downloaded Transporter. I get this same error that I do not have an OS and it wants to do data only. How do I get Transporter to see that it is an OS when it is running on the darned thing?

6. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

PS: I have used both Norton and Partition Magic to check the disk and make sure it is active etc. It is the only physical disk and the only partition and the original XP set up nothing odd other than its likely SP1 not SP2. I will try and do all the updates next before anyone gets back to this post.

7. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

I just checked in detail. My directory is called WINDOWS32. So, how did you do this hex edit trick? Cause this thread was DEAD and it didnt look like anyone on the PT saw it. Tho I am a persistant enough BTCH to make sure they see this now. LOL