No help from Parallels Help re. Internet Access

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Helena, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Helena

Helena Member

Almost two weeks ago, I lost my ability to access Internet Explorer after accepting a Mac software update (I am still using Tiger). I have gone through all the available suggestions online and changed all sorts of settings and still cannot get it to work. I have sent email messages for help to Parallels and have received no response. I called Parallels to check on this a few days ago and was told that my request is in a queue. Still no response. Apparently, the volume of requests for help is high. This is not acceptable.

I need to fix this.

Helena

2. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Parallels support have nothing to do with your Internet Explorer. Call Microsoft support?

(Why is it "not acceptable"???)

3. Helena

Helena Member

Thank you but here have been a number of people in the past who have posted that they could not access the internet and nowhere was the user told to call Microsoft! In each case, different types of advice was offered to change various settings. The changes they made seemed to ultimately work. I have painstakingly gone thorough each of these and have spent hours trying various changes myself. I would just appreciate someone taking a look at my settings. I have sent the details four times to Parallels staff and to customer support over a two-week period. No one has ever responded -- that is what is unacceptable.

4. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

If you cannot access Internet Explorer, you might have changed a Windows setting to make IE inaccessible. According to your description it's simply not a Parallels issue.

5. Helena

Helena Member

Thanks - I looked at this possibility. I tried to repair my connections and was told there was a problem clearing my DNS. I ran ipconfig/flushdns and then was told that it failed during execution. Also, display DNS did not work.

Any ideas of what is going on? Thanks

6. Helena

Helena Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

7. Helena

Helena Member

Well, I went through Windows XP help and figure out how to deal with the DNS issues. It had been stopped. I fixed that and cleared the cache. Still when I go to Internet Explorer, it does not work. Interestingly, when I run the diagnostics it tells me that the internet connection is working properly. I have restarted the computer and refreshed the screen. I also went back to switching the Parallels connections (bridged ethernet, host only). Still is not working.

8. Helena

Helena Member

Ok -- I am still digging around trying to get this to work on my own. Could the fact that I have "no default gateway" anything to do with it? I am having a hard time understanding how to fix it.

9. Helena

Helena Member

More details:

Address type assigned by DHCP
    IP address is 10.37.129.4
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway

Windows does not detect any problems with the connection. I am connected through an ethernet cable connection and have upgraded to the most recent build - 5582

10. biglar

biglar Pro

Maybe your network connection on the mac got screwed up when you upgraded. Have you checked System Preferences==>Network in Finder? There should be a Parallels set up there.

11. Helena

Helena Member

Thanks for your response --it finally was resolved! I turned off the kaspersky firewall and it worked.

12. Malosa

Malosa Member

I've read through this thread with interest as I cannot get online with any internet software. I installed Parallels 3.0 onto OSX Leopard and put XP Home on, accepting all defaults but have not been able to connect to the internet. I had to cut and paste the registration process for Parallels into Mail on my mac!

I have done everything suggested - including turning Kapersky off - and nothing works at all. I would be grateful for any more suggestions.

13. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Is this a new problem? Was it ever working in the past?

Please give more specifics.

John

14. Malosa

Malosa Member

Hi John

When I first installed Parallels then XP I had this problem and although I've now got XP's internet connection wizard saying it is connected, no software is connecting to the internet. I've tried installing Opera in case it was IE but it doesnt find the internet. Everything is saying 'cannot connect to the internet'.

I'm obviously connected via the mac :) but I'm baffled as to why the guest OS has this problem.

I've tried all the network adapter settings, and though XP is claiming it is connected via the host-only option in Parallels and it is saying it is working on a LAN or High Speed internect connection it doesnt receive any incoming signals. I've tried it with and without Windows firewall settings on but still no incoming signal.

I've worked through all the troubleshooting stuff as well as Parallels' user guides and nothing changes the fact that there's no incoming signals so I'd appreciate any help possible.

15. Helena

Helena Member

Please note that I also posted this question on the Windows Guest OS Discussion Forum. I think the topic is "Need help in accessing Internet Explorer." Perhaps some of the discussion there may help. I know how frustrating this is.

16. Upton O'Good

Upton O'Good Member

Did you happen to see this in the Parallels Help?

"Select Host-only networking if you don't want your virtual machine to be accessible from outside your Macintosh computer, or if the network interfaces of your Mac are off. Withe [sic] this option chose [sic], your virtual machine will be connected to the host computer and other virtual machines, but it will be disconnected from the Internet. [emphasis added]"

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  17. Malosa

Malosa Member

It doesnt make any difference to my mac and Parallels set up.. NOTHING will enable me to connect tyo the internet - I've tried every combination!

18. bi11

bi11 Hunter

Is it possible that your network configuration is set to use a interface that you do not have enabled? Like is it set to wireless when you are using wired or vice versa.

19. Malosa

Malosa Member

I only have wired conection so the answer is no. I dont know enough about those type of settings to risk messing with them.