Win 98 high cpu usage in 5584

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SminkyPinky, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SminkyPinky

SminkyPinky Bit poster

I installed Window 98 second edition the other day, it works fine but it uses more than 100% cpu on my 2,16GHz MacBook with Leopard.
    I googled the problem and it seems that this was a bug in earlier versions but it's supposedly fixed now, but I'm using build 5584.
    Anybody else have this problem? Is there a workaround? Should I report a bug, and how do I do that?

2. White fox

White fox Member

You are right. I´m having exactly the same problem with Windows 98 SE. It was fixed earlier, but somehow the fix has been broken. As I´m using a desktop, I´m not complaining too much about it, but when I run several applications at the same time as the VM then there is certainly a performance penalty to Leopard in general.
    Please fix this! It´s a bug.

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

thank you for your reports. This is true, we are aware of this bug and we are trying to fix it. Sorry for all the inconveniences caused.

4. White fox

White fox Member

A few more builds has been released with the high CPU usage glitch still present.
    I can think of two good reasons to fix it again.

1.I might even consider purchasing a license for the laptop I´m using occasionally. Primary reason is faster CPU and more RAM on that machine.

2.A fix for this issue would probably be rather permanent, since the developers of Windows 98 SE are less than likely to release a software update that again would break the patch and force the developers of Parallels Desktop(you) to release another fix.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose that you are using very high resolution, if you lower resolution , CPU usage should be in normal

6. White fox

White fox Member

I´m not using any higher resolution than 800x600. Actually it seemed as if I was using 640x480 when I checked. How I wish I didn´t need Windows at all. There is just one application I need to run and wine in Ubuntu isn´t yet capable of running it...

7. John@Parallels

What leopard update is installed?
    if 10.5.3 please try to use 5608 build
    What application are you using, what is showing CPU usage in Windows

8. White fox

White fox Member

With the specification stated in my signature(the most recent build of Parallels), windows 98 SE not running any applications at all, the activity monitor of Mac OS 10.5.3 shows Parallels Desktop uses 100 % CPU. I will try a virus scan to see if the VM is infected.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Do you have Parallels Tools installed?

Windows 9x and MS-DOS even when not doing nothing don't let the CPU idle (they don't know how to do nothing, the CPU is in fact processing the wait for input, and they don't know how to send the HLT or similar command to the processor for it to idle), normally VM programs that have their drivers installed in a Windows 9x VM have the ability to idle the CPU when the virtual machine isn't doing anything and the VM program isn't on focus, I suspect Parallels has similar functionality and that's why I ask if you have Parallels Tools installed, I never installed Windows 98 on Parallels so I don't know how it handles idleness.

10. White fox

White fox Member

Yes. Parallels Tools is installed. I´m aware of the fact that the fault of 100% CPU usage really is because of how Windows 98 was written. However, earlier the development team of Parallels successfully created a software patch that made it possible for Windows 98 to leave the CPU idle when possible. The patch reduced the load remarkably well, but later the patch was broken and ever since then...
    I´ll post again as soon as I have done a virus scan to see if my VM is doing some bad stuff when idle. Perhaps some other Windows 98 SE users can confirm this problem to prove that the problem is with my VM.

11. White fox

White fox Member

Nod 32 antivirus found nothing.

12. John@Parallels

Ok, I will check this , and will try to reply during the next week