Tried Desktop for Mac 3.x -- Now I'm Hosed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dkaye, Aug 4, 2008.

1. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

I was running Desktop for Mac 3.x. Installed 3.0 build 5608, but when I started an XP VM, the process hung in a CPU-intensive loop. Tried to re-run Desktop and got "can't run" with "-600". Uninstalled, fixed disk, etc., and reinstalled. Same thing. Tried to install a year-old .dmg I had saved (build 4124), but that fails, too. My virtual disks are intact, so no data lost, but I can't seem to run any version of Parallels Desktop, old or new. I'd be happy with a good install of 2.x, but I don't have a recent installation .dmg, and even then I'm not convinced I could get it working. I seem to have messed up something somewhere.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstall Parallels following this procedure http://kb.parallels.com/en/4709 then reinstall it again (the latest build 5608), don't forget to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools under the VM (thou you should have uninstalled those before upgrading to version 3, if you can't log into Windows try safe mode to uninstall Parallels Tools).

3. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Thanks, Specimen. I've already tried that procedure (twice) to no avail. Unfortunately, I didn't uninstall Parallel Tools before trying this. I somehow missed that. I never get to the point that I can see XP starting to load, so I can't get into safe mode.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I need this to check what is the problem

Archive of /Library/Parallels/bugreports/ (right click on folder --> Create Archive)
    or ~/Library/Parallels/bugreports/

* /Library/Logs/panic.log
    or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log from the Mac side;

5. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Hi, John. Two .zip files attached. Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please see
    Path: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels
    Identifier: com.parallels.desktop
    Version: 3.0 (3.0 Build 4124.0)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [226]

Date/Time: 2008-08-04 06:25:24.480 -0700
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
    August 4, but it is still old build,
    Please use Specimen posted article link, and make sure that that old dmg or cd is not in Mac when you are installing new build