Mac OS 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by K-Dee, May 28, 2008.

1. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

It popped up in my software update. Does anybody have any feedback in terms of if it does anything to Parallels Desktop?

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have been running the different seed releases and have yet to experience an issue.

3. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually we expected this as Apple promised to ease memory alloc procedure.
    However, if you meet problems please post them

5. parkri

parkri Bit poster

10.5.3 still has memory allocation problem

I just upgraded to 10.5.3 and I am experiencing the memory allocation problem, referred to by K-Dee above, for the first time. So it's pretty clear 10.5.3 does not fix it definitively. However, I don't think 10.5.3 triggered it. I, like others (based on reading the other threads) have experienced this after migrating my boot disk to a new drive (after my Time Machine drive filled up, I did some shuffling of my drives)

I had been running my VM with 2GB memory without problems for months. I can now only get it to work with 1GB

So please keep working on a fix! Thanks

6. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

Try reapplying 10.5.3. Download the 10.5.3 update and run it. It may fix your issue as I've seen that using that method has made other issues disappear.

7. parkri

parkri Bit poster

It does indeed appear to have worked post re-applying the 10.5.3 upgrade.

8. John@Parallels

Just let me recall that we officially support 1500 mb of memory, however, did you try to start Parallels Desktop , as single application (when 2 gb is selected)?

9. bkassing

bkassing Bit poster

Kb 5175

I am running 10.5.5 and this KB says to re-install my OS or downgrade. Those are unacceptable answers. When will 10.5.5 be supported?

10. K-Dee

K-Dee Member

I have no problems with 10.5.5 at all. Try downloading the combo update of 10.5.5 and reapplying that.

11. John@Parallels

What is actually problem?

12. whschultz

whschultz Bit poster

I don't know about bkassing, but I've been having intermittent crashes in Parallels 5608 on my Mac Pro since upgrading to 10.5.5.

13. John@Parallels

What can you see in crash logs?

14. whschultz

whschultz Bit poster

I saw QList<>, so it seems you guys are using Qt. We went the wxWidgets route, but either way, it makes cross-platform programming easier, eh? ;)

Back on topic, though: Of the four crashes I had the other day, there appear to be two distinct types. The 105632 crash was three of the four (Thread 0 and Thread 1 were identical), so I've only included one of the backtraces. Both types of crashes appear to be related to audio.

I *didn't* get any crashes yesterday. I had rebooted, and I wasn't doing as much work inside Parallels (but it was probably open in the background just as long). I don't know which of the two made the difference.

Attached Files:

15. John@Parallels

It is not necessary related to audio, what can you see in other crashes, also is there other crashes for other applications?

16. whschultz

whschultz Bit poster

Nah, no other crashes worth noting.

For your satisfaction, I've attached a zip with all four Parallels crash reports. I haven't had any other crashes since that reboot, though, so it may have been an isolated incident. I don't expect to be working in Windows in the near-term future, but I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Attached Files:

17. whschultz

whschultz Bit poster

For the record, my boot hard drive died a few days later. It could be coincidence, but if the crash logs are of no help, it might not be.

18. robert domic

robert domic Bit poster

he has right!
    Those are unacceptable answers. When will 10.5.5 be supported? When comes an Update?
    We have pay'd Money for this Software.

Robi

19. lorethat

lorethat Bit poster

How do you boot from the disc at system start on Mac OS X Panther? I am stuck because I tried to upgrade a G4 to Panther OS and there was an error. Now I cannot go back to the old OS and cannot login to the new one because I don't have the password. Is there a way to boot from the disc and install a different OS? Like Jaguar? How do I do this? In Windows it is so simple but Mac makes it to where you are a zombie user with NO control over your system. It's terrible!