PD4+WinXP+Cisco VPN

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mstroukoff, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mstroukoff

mstroukoff Bit poster

Since upgrading (and yes had similar iso image install issues with tools), the converted drive which worked fine under PD3 is having some odd intermittent behavior while running Cisco VPN. I was unable to connect at all if running with 2 CPUs (assuming since the option to select 2 actually recognizes dual core as 2), but after backing down to single CPU could connect if I use "bridged network" with my Airport selected (any combination using "shared network" or "default adapter" selected fails).

Even still, once a tunnel is established I can only RDC into one of my WinXP boxes. And net Apps like Lotus Notes fail to authenticate completely.

And yes, all of this worked perfectly fine under PD3

MBP 2.33C2D (4GB/320GB) - OSX10.5.5 / WinXPSP2 (PD)/ VistaPro (BC)

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report using Help->Report a Problem and post the number of report here?

3. mstroukoff

mstroukoff Bit poster

Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 13600

Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 13600

4. rstrauss

rstrauss Junior Member

Ditto

Same here. Cisco VPN worked fine under PD3. Now I can no longer access my server drives.

5. wkharris

wkharris Junior Member

No Issues

After reading this thread about Cisco VPN connectivity, I quickly fired up my upgraded XP VM, with Cisco installed and am happy to report at least I have not issues connecting with PD4!

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please used the Shared Networking. It should work.

While using the Shared Networking do you able to access network from the Windows?
    If no, then please make a note. All other actions are here in assuming that all is working under Shared Networking except the connection with Cisco.

Please try to connect with Cisco and post here the error that occurs while connecting.

If this doesn't work, then for further investigating of the issue it is required to temporary remove all noise-factors.

- uninstall for the time of testing Parallels Internet Security and reboot the VM. Please try to connect.

- uninstall the Cisco VPN client and all other VPN clients that are on the VM and reboot the VM. Please try to connect again.

- please disable for some time firewall on the Mac OS X side or grant to the prl_naptd all access. If you don't have the firewall, please type in the Applications->Utilities->Terminal command
    sudo /sbin/ipfw disable firewall
    then try to connect again.

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry. I missed an action with installing the Latest Cisco VPN Client.
    Of course after uninstalling the Cisco (and other VPN clients) and rebooting, it is needed to install the Latest Cisco client.

8. mstroukoff

mstroukoff Bit poster

The plot thickens...

Quirky behavior...

Background: I am using a converted VMWare container provided by my company IT folks (WinXPSP2 w/company build) that we use for software testing. While I do have local admin on it, there are Corp Policies that I can not over ride (they're not published so I don't know exactly what I can't modify until I stumble upon a grayed-out setting).

Here's what's currently working: @home (via "shared/default adapter" - airport wireless) I am able to make a VPN connection. While connected I can use IE to see our internal websites (e.g. resources inside the Corp firewall), I can use RDC to connect to my docked PC laptop.

What doesn't work: Lotus Notes fails to authenticate (somekind of a Netegrity single sign-on error), I can not RDC to my Desktop PC (just states failed to make a connection)

Just as an experiment, I brought my MBP into work and when I use a Cat5-landline (no Mac RSA softtoken available to try our internal wireless) I have full access when set to "bridged/default adapter". (e.g. Lotus Notes works fine, can connect to all my network drives and RDC to both PCs.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Have you tried to reinstall the VPN Client?

Could you please try to use the Shared networking at work. Does it work ok with Lotus Notes at work?

10. mstroukoff

mstroukoff Bit poster

Done trying...

I need this VM environment to do work. I'm done trying different things, and playing guinea pig. I've been a loyal Parallels customer since the beginning, but this is going on the shelf for now (I'll try again when an update/patch is posted). I'm pretty disappointed with this release...

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please try to reinstall the latest Cisco VPN client?
    Does it helped?

12. mstroukoff

mstroukoff Bit poster

I did reinstall, didn't help

I've retrograded to v3.0 (5626) and all is well...

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Thank you for the report. We will investigate the problem.

If someone is having this problem now, while the VPN connection is established, try to open the Terminal (Application->Utilities->Terminal) and type command

sudo killall -HUP prl_naptd

and try to repeat the failed case without restart of VM (restart doesn't make any difference)