PD 4 upgrade conversion issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JollyRoger, Nov 15, 2008.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

So...

who else is having issues, and what issues are you having?

I have run into the fact that the conversion process attempts to upgrade drivers INSIDE the VM while hiding the actual screens/interfaces of the VM os. This seems to be causing all sorts of issues when things DO NOT GO AS PLANNED, for instance right this second my ZVM is doing step 1 of 4, then it quickly flashes the windows "safe mode options" screen. Unfortunately for me, i DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO PICK ANY OF THOSE OPTIONS to continue the regular XP boot process.

So now i am stuck in this retarded endless process of booting, waiting, watching the safe mode screen (and not being able to do anything about it).

Again... awesome product launch guys!!

*sigh*

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix these issues?

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Member

i found a solution...

3. Zippy

Zippy Member

Yeah; revert to v3 and wait for the bug fix! ... Or try Fusion
    At least, that's what I'm going to do!

4. Styx1@comcast.net

Styx1@comcast.net Bit poster

I found that my USB to Serial Cable is now on Serial Port 5 and not 6, as it was with PD3x. Now I have to adjust everything that uses this serial port - annoying.

In addition, the worst thing is every once and a while the guest OS (XP) stops running. Well, at least it seems like it that it runs so slow. I found a process PL_VM_APP that consumes 95%+ of processing.

Only solution is to shutdown the guest OS and reboot. Rebooting OS X is not needed. I have send a bug report on this.

I am relatively optimistic about the next update fixing many of the problems, as it was the same with earlier releases. AND... since this is a non-Apple produced product and it is a .0 release, it is somewhat expected.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

PL_VM_APP is Virtual Machine processes , probably it is better to take a look at Task manager in Windows, and check what is running with high CPU usage

6. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I have had to do the same thing, unfortunately. They've ignored my forum posting, and the support ticket I filed is going nowhere fast. I am now on my second tech, and they keep asking me to try things I have already told them did not solve the problem. They keep hinting at a corrupted Boot Camp installation, regardless of the fact that Boot Camp boots fine via dual-boot as well as through VMWare. It's now almost 2 weeks and I am no closer to a solution, so forget it. I'll take my money and run. The 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade was a disaster, I don't know what made me think 3.0 to 4.0 would be any better. Parallels seems more interested in getting the features out first rather than actually making sure they work.

-Z

7. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Try this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5810, if it hangs during the VM uprgade try pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Option+R to interrupt the process, then follow the steps from KB article