Make sure that you have read/write permission

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Maven, Nov 12, 2008.

1. alexbard

alexbard Junior Member

Same problem here, in my MacBook Air 1,8ghz SSD 128Gb and bootcamp partition.
    No problem creating a new virtual machine without using bootcamp partition.
    Hope there will be a fix SOON... for now I am scared to upgrade my 3.0 working fine...

2. shroom

shroom Bit poster

I have the same Problem on my Mac Pro running windows on a separate Disk

3. Maven

Maven Junior Member

Any updates? This is not a very responsive group. Where is the iPhone App?

4. Keita Kimura

Keita Kimura Bit poster

I'm having the same problem on my MacBook(Late2008) with SSD.
    Please recognize that non-MacBook Air users are suffering too.

5. jbsolutios

jbsolutios Junior Member

Same problem here - MacBook Air Gen 2 with 128Gb SSD

Hope that this is fixed soon guys :)

6. jimmytich

jimmytich Bit poster

I have logged two cases on this issue and posted here, but have heard absolutely nothing. I am now fully dead as my bootcamp now won't load on reboot. Very very frustrating!

j

7. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

R/W HD issue

I've the same issue now that I had to trash my last .pvm file due to the other error of "Unable to connect to Hard Disk 1". I've an iMac with a normal HD and am using v4.0 of Parallels (just upgraded yesterday...argh!) Two bug reports already sent. I have Tiger OS with Windows XP in Boot Camp.

Note that I can see my Windows partition just fine and access the files there.

Error #13223

8. seaniepie

seaniepie Bit poster

Me too! And...

Just wanted to add me in on this list too as I'm have the same problem on both my MBP with normal hard drive and also on my macmini. Both working fine in v3. Now both unusable! Backups useless, for some reason it only backed up 2GB from my 20GB partition and comes up as corrupt when I try to restore. Thanks Parallels!!!

What I dont understand is how this got to release without this being picked up in Beta or Alpha stages! Who did you get to Beta for you - not me this time, thats for sure! You're entire release plan needs revising and compensation of somekind needs giving to everyone that has logged problems with this release based on the shear incompetance of it all. Pay attention - test, test, test - retest - then release. NEVER release anything that is not ready - you will lose confidence and lose customers as a result - Loyal customers at that!

Pi

9. seaniepie

seaniepie Bit poster

Working,,, How...?

Okay, got it working! This solution is okay as long as you can still boot into it via bootcamp. I'll get to those that can't in a bit:

1. Boot into Windows via bootcamp direct. Use the alt key method if yours doesn't show up in the startup drive preference pane.
    2. Once logged in, check that your c drive has not been compressed, specifically the Windows folder. To do this, right click the Windows folder on the c drive, go to properties and then advanced. Uncheck anything listed under Compress or Encrypt Attributes. (While your there you may as well turn indexing off as it's a waste of time in this folder) Click ok then go make a coffee or something.
    3. When that's done goto control panels and select AddRemovePrograms. In here search for any instances of parallels tools and click Remove. This is a key step and takes only a few seconds, no more than a sip of coffee!
    4. Done? Then go ahead and reboot into Windows again. This just makes sure that all has been applied ok. Trust me. Wait till you've logged in and all tasks have loaded.
    5. Now get it to restart again but into OSX.
    6. In OSX, first goto users/[your home]/documents/ and delete any folders called 'Parallels' and do the same checking users/Shared/ folder. Empty the Trash - now not later!
    7. Now start up Parallels Desktop 4. Now this is gonna confuse you but bear with me. Two things will probably happen at the same time but don't worry - it's all good. It's gonna come up with a intro page which with the 'always skip' box. Behind that (or in front depending on if you've clicked it) will be a VM with 'My Boot Camp' in it. Ignore this. On the intro page click Continue then Skip Detection then choose your version and click Continue then click Custom and Continue adjust the CPU/Mem to suit and click continue then choose Boot Camp and continue. Off she goes... (carry on ignoring 'MyBootCamp').
    8. Once this is done choose the Start VM option. DO NOT touch anything now until windows has finished loading, completes the tools setup and restarts itself. It will do all this automatically and you don't need to click ok or cancel on anything that may pop up!
    9. When it has finally restarted it needs a few extra tweaks. Goto C:\Program Files\ and right click the Parallels folder - choose properties. In the properties inspector choose Advanced and uncheck everything. click ok then ok again. Don't worry about the 'ReadOnly' thing being checked - you can't alter it. <Fingers Crossed> Once that's completed all should be fine! </Fingers Crossed>.

Those of you who couldn't start bootcamp first transfer from within OSX anything off the windows partition you might wanna keep (you should still be able to mount it (from Disk Utilities) and read from it). Get your WinXP/Vista disk. Start from that (by restarting the mac, holding alt until the disks appear on screen and select the cd to start from) and when it's finished loading all it's bits and pieces hit F8 then Enter to Install windows (NOT 'R' for the repair console). It'll then do the check for windows installations and find the bootcamp install. Choose to repair the install then go through the usual rigmarole of a windows installation. If it Blue screens during any of this the drivers have probably been screwed up. If you can SafeMode then do this and once in remove any drivers using the HardwareManager and AddRemovePrograms. Try a repair install again and see how you get on. If any of these bits work you can go on with step 2 above.

-

As an aside can I also suggest not to use the included AV software until they find a way of not letting it take over your entire system and chundering it up. I'll carry on using AVG-Free thanks very much. Us from MacLand arent used to having things slow our systems down by 50% and not even let us know it's doing it by some jack russel icon in the bottom right corner.

And Parallels, pull your finger out in terms of support. Get live online support set up! Drop the $30 support all together which isn't even available in the UK or anywhere else than the US. Utter waste of time and money. And when 4000+ views of an FAQ or Forum topic arise, realise that this is a pretty big issue whatever it is and get a solution as absolute priority. Doing these things will raise confidence levels back to what it should be.

All the best (to the best of you all)

Pi

10. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

> 1. Boot into Windows via bootcamp direct.

Alas, this is not an option for me. I can't even boot into Safe Mode via Boot Camp. :( But, I can still see it on the Mac side, but that's about it.

11. seaniepie

seaniepie Bit poster

Can't boot into windows?

That's ok Merlisk, read down below the 9 steps and it has a possible solution even for you. Sorry I didnt highlight it enough for it to be visible right away. Hope it works for you.

Mr Pi

12. seaniepie

seaniepie Bit poster

This Imno323 has been floating on this site and forum since the 13th and still hasn't been kicked off yet!

13. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

Perfect! It took me a long time, but your detailed instructions corrected the problem with no data loss. Thank you!

14. AbouHussein

AbouHussein Bit poster

Same issue

I have the same problem on an iMac late 2009, normal HDD