Problem with paste after upgrade to 4.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fiannolo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. fiannolo

fiannolo Bit poster

Hi, first sorry for my poor english. in my windows the hard drive is readonly and i can't cut-paste or copy-paste files in my desktop inside the virtual machine. Anyone can tell me why can't do this?

The paste option of my right click button is disable. Thanks for everyone.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. spiffey

spiffey Junior Member

I don't have a solution, I'm afraid … but I've also had that problem. The upgrade completely messed up my copy and paste in Windows.

Mac to Mac (OK)
    Mac to XP (No)
    XP to Mac (No)
    XP to XP (No)

I had a backup copy so I downgraded to Version 3 until they fix the issue.

3. robert.jantzlee@gmail.com

robert.jantzlee@gmail.com Bit poster

Butler did it

I found that I could not paste XP to XP nor XP to mac -> turns out that butler.app was the problem. butler is an application launcher that among its extras had some extra clipboard management built in. This seems to collide with PD4.0 improvements to clipboard handling. Once I uninstalled butler then XP to XP and XP to mac worked again.

I am now using spotlight as my app launcher.

4. spiffey

spiffey Junior Member

Is it a Mac application or an XP program?
    Incidentally I'm not using Butler but I'm still getting the problem.

5. bed42

bed42 Junior Member

It seems that any OSX clipboard management tools can create a problem. I was using PTHPasteBoard and was unable to copy and paste *internally within explorer* inside my Vista.

Note - copy and pasting text from OSX to vista and vice-versa worked fine. Explorer copy and paste to explorer doesn't work though. I can drag&drop files as a work around.

Quiting PTHPasteBoard in OSX, makes explorer pasting in Vista work again - straight away.

Any idea Parallels as to why this is happening? It worked fine with Parallels 3.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. robert.jantzlee@gmail.com

robert.jantzlee@gmail.com Bit poster

7. fiannolo

fiannolo Bit poster

thanks a lot

Thanks for your help, really really thanks. You help me to discover my problem. My problem was a Clipboard plugin of quiksilver. after i uninstall this plugin my cut- paste works great again. Again sorry for my poor english and thanks a lot.

I am now using quicksilver as my app launcher without the clipboard plugin and parallels works great.

8. spiffey

spiffey Junior Member

Incidentally, I thought I'd have another go and installing Parallels 4. After the installation process completed, I tried to resolve the copy and paste issue.

I managed to get the copy and paste working from XP to XP, buy turning off an XP utility called Flashpaste Lite. I use it to store oft-typed text strings as a means of increasing productivity. By turning this off, I managed to get the copy and paste functionality back.

However, Mac to XP or XP to Mac didn't work. What's worse is that copying and pasting from Mac to XP completely disables copying and pasting within XP, even with Flashpaste off, and even after several successful copy and pastes beforehand. This manifests itself by locking up the programs that were being copied into; the only solution is to force quit the affected windows programs.

Lastly, copying from XP to Mac still doesn't work - even though clipboard is shared in the preferences.

At a push I could do without Flashpaste. However, I need to be able to copy from and to the Mac, so I once again have moved back to version 3.

I have seen on another thread that Parallels are due to release an updated version which reportedly fixes these issues.

9. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

10. bed42

bed42 Junior Member

This is FIXED in 3540 - thanks parallels.

(to clarify: I can now run PTHPasteBoard and in parallels have explorer to explorer file copy & paste working)

11. mwickens

mwickens Junior Member

I've upgraded to 3540 and am still having the problem with Butler. Is it working for anyone with that program?

12. lupus

lupus Junior Member

It's not quite fixed - I found that pasting was getting garbled when using PTHPasteboard and copying from XP to Mac. Copying http://maps.google.com would paste as

m%00a%00p%00s%00.%00g%00o%00o%00g%00l%00e%00.%00c%00o%00m%00

with %00 appearing after every character. It looked OK in the Firefox window, but would be interpreted as the above. Switching off PTHPasteboard and it works fine.

Cheers,

Joel

13. pfflynn

pfflynn Bit poster

Running 3540, Win Vista, Mac OS X 10.5.5. Copy Mac to Win- ok, Win to Mac- still broken

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are aware and working on this

15. John@Parallels

This is different problem, please try to clarify what software you have on Windows

16. pfflynn

pfflynn Bit poster

Win apps

Firefox 3.0.04, Jeppesen Flitestar, Quicken Home & Business 2008 and SplashData 4

17. John@Parallels

Looks normal, try to reinstall Parallels Tools, and just to confirm , you can only copy/paste text

18. pfflynn

pfflynn Bit poster

I've tried uninstall/reinstall a couple of time without change in behavior. I can copy/paste from Mac --> VM but not vice versa. I can copy/paste within the VM itself if that helps any.

19. John@Parallels

Please submit report from Parallels Desktop - Help menu -selecting Report a Problem, and post here report ID

20. pfflynn

pfflynn Bit poster

Problem ticket id

Filed with id id 21853.