Feature Request : P.Workstation Console

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by terlmann, Dec 20, 2008.

1. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

I see VM specific consoles but no universal error-reporting and information
    console included with Parallels workstation.

Ideally it should also be able to report different levels of debugging information.

2. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Thanks for the proposal. What is your reason to have debugging information?

3. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

reason

I don't know if my last post went through, I put in a tirade about linux being more wordy than windows/osx, but here is the rundown:
    I am running workstation 2.2.2234 which could soon be .2235
    on ubuntu linux with kernel 2.6.10.17-14(I just guessed at this)
    and my system updates faster than I can actually keep up with.
    In a moment, I'm going to have a new kernel package to look at(which I don't plan on installing :p).
    You can see that I'm in a state of constantly evaluating and testing programs.
    As a tester, I request instant, continuous, and detailed access to all forms of all human readable
    information so that I may consistently and effectively fix problems that will repeatedly
    occur due to changing code. This includes reports from your proprietary program, which silently crashes occasionally and may in the future develop a lethal allergic response to my systems qt, kernel header, or other library.
    In the event of that occurring, It's my duty to stay ahead of the curve and respond to these situations instantly.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You guessed your linux kernel?? What about 'uname -a'?

5. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

I prefer to try guessing. My system moves faster than uname can pipe to console.
    UNAME -a gives Linux ubuntu 2.6.27-10-generic #1 SMP Fri Nov 21 12:00:22 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    ...which isn't THAT far off. Only 17 kernel subreleases. It's about the same number of kernel revisions off from current as the revisions parallels actually supports.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Moves faster? Sorry, but you can't change kernel without rebooting... If it 'moves' that fast you're always rebooting and actually doing nothing if you can't even uname -a. What you're saying doesn't 'compute'.

2.6.27.10 was released Dec. 18, 2.6.27.9 was released Dec. 14, 4 days should be enough to 'pipe' uname -a' to the console ;P (these are the kernel.org releases, and since you're using Ubuntu the releases have even a bigger time frame than this). Unless you're talking about pre-patches, but those are at 2.6.28-rc9.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

Do I smell a troll?
    #1 I'm AM always rebooting.
    #2 : you might not be able to CHANGE the kernel without rebooting it, but you CAN
    Patch it without rebooting
    Upgrade the kernel in a matter of seconds(around 1 second on a perfect system)

With ksplice, kexec, einit(actually it's successor currently under development) , and some other minor tweaks including coreboot , I can see systems booting eventually in 1 second, with seamless updates, and NO more BEEPING from my motherboard. Too bad I'm trying to get an edjucation atm.

8. terlmann

terlmann Junior Member

O yea, and smarty pants.. I'm not just running linux , I'm running BSD systems, looking at the code to darwin ,hud , and minix, and observing what happens when you try to install gentoo from stage 2 tarballs on a reiserfs partition with extents(and grub 2 for my loader).
    Also, my bragging rights include having a vm with skyos and a vm with reactos up right now testing programs.g

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven