Suggestions on X11 tweaking (OpenSUSE 11)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by heiko, Oct 26, 2008.

1. heiko

heiko Bit poster

Hi,

I've grown tired of X11 not working in parallels, thus I'd like to do some tinkering. I installed OpenSuSE 11, which leads to X restarting shortly after login if Parallels Tools are installed. This can be addressed by setting color depth to 16 bit in xorg.conf:

Set session type to "failsafe" (german: abgesichert), then log in, type "sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf", type your password, type "/24", type "i", then set DefaultDepth to 16. Type esc, :wq, exit. Reset session type, log in again.

My experience at this stage is that all while KDE starts up fine and everything seems to work, fonts do shrink to about 2 pt. This is not exactly comfortable to read, so I'd be happy to read your suggestions on how to fix this.

Heiko

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You mean KDE4, try to install KDE 3, there is no such problem

3. heiko

heiko Bit poster

Turns out that I needed to manually set the dpi in KDE's System Preferences. After doing that, fonts look normal.

4. mfreidel

mfreidel Member

I just installed KDE4 and have the same small font issues after I installed PTools. How do you manually set the dpi in KDE4?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

KDE Menu > Configure Desktop > Appereance > Fonts

6. mfreidel

mfreidel Member

Worked

That worked - fiddled with a couple of the smaller fonts as I have my video settings at 16MB. However, best fix was forcing the DPI to 96.