Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by twfmike, Feb 6, 2009.

1. twfmike

twfmike Bit poster

Bear with me, it's a bit confusing....

I have a small office windows network. There's a wireless router, which is connected to a wired hub. There are 5 Windows PCs connected to the hub, all running XP (some Home Edition, some Pro). There's a windows laptop connected wirelessly, and there's my Intel Macbook running Leopard, which connects wirelessly.

So far, so good, all the machines can see each other most of the time, and when they can't a restart or a reset of the router and hub usually does the trick.

BUT, when I run parrallels on my Mac, which has XP Home with SP3 running, I can only find the other laptop and the OSX side of my mac on the network, none of the wired machines.

Any ideas??

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, twfmike,

would you please clarify the virtual machine network configuration - type of connection (shared, bridged), etc

3. twfmike

twfmike Bit poster

I think it would be shared networking. Under Parallels preferences, the box "Enable DHCP scope for shared networking" is checked. But I'm not entirely sure what this means.

4. twfmike

twfmike Bit poster

TaDA? Any thoughts? Is there more information you need?

5. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, twfmike,

Yes, please, some further information:
    - what happens if you switch the type to Bridged;
    - the output from ifconfig command on Mac (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal -> type 'ifconfig' without quotes -> hit Return) and ipconfig command in Windows (Start -> Run... -> type 'cmd' without quotes -> type ipconfig -> hit Return)

6. twfmike

twfmike Bit poster

Connection Specific DNS Suffix:
    IP Address 10.211.55.3
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateways: 10.211.55.1

Thanks for your help.

Mike

7. twfmike

twfmike Bit poster

I've now changed it to a bridged connection and it works. Thanks for your help DaTa.
    I cant say I understand the difference between shared and bridged - would be good to know what I've done!

Cheers,

Mike

8. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Do you mean that you don't see other laptop on Mac OS X side, or you don't see other laptop on WinXP-side?

If the later, then this is due to the nature of Shared Networking. It doesn't allow Browsing of network. But you should still be able to connect to other machines using their full name.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Oops -) I'm sorry - I have not refreshed my browser and have answered on question on which DaTa had already given perfect answer -)