Windows 98 Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert T., Nov 14, 2008.

1. Robert T.

Robert T. Bit poster

I downloaded the trial version of Parallels for Mac 4.0. I installed Windows XP Professional without any problems. I also installed Windows 2000 without any problems. I installed Windows 98 Second Edition without any problems, but I can not install the sound drivers and the Parallel Tools for Windows 98 SE. The Parallel Tools installed under XP and 2000 without any problems, but Windows 98 SE will not install the Parallel tools, therefore I am without sound ability under 98. When I click install Parallel tools, the disk drive in Windows 98 says PrlTools [D:/] , but there is no autoplay, and auto notification is turned on in the device manager. I try to update each device with a yellow question mark, there are 5 including the sound, but it simply doesn't do any good. Windows 98 just will not allow me to install the Parallel Tools. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank.

2. White fox

White fox Member

It´s a bit hard to install things that aren´t present on the Parallels Tools image file. Graphics drivers are present, but they have to be installed manually. Features like clipboard sync and image file compression is nowhere to be seen.
    Why remove features in an updated version of a program?

3. Robert T.

Robert T. Bit poster

I actually finally got the sound and video drivers installed. My problem was I could not mount the CD because my other virtual machine was using the CD drive and somehow it didn't work the way it was supposed to. I clicked install parallel tools with just Win 98 running and it worked. The sound works fine, but the video, although it is functioning o.k. is still very buggy. I eventually discovered the small fix that has to be made to prevent Win 98 from shutting down improperly with the parallels video driver installed. Win 98 does shut down properly, but the graphics are still buggy. Half the time, the graphics get jumpy and real corrupt, and sometimes it does just fine. Windows 98 always did have problems, but I would think there would be a permanent fix to the graphic issues.

4. White fox

White fox Member

Strange. You got sound although there´s only a sound driver for OS/2 present. Did you get an automatic installation with "Install Parallels Tools"? I didn´t.

5. eread

eread Member

I also have this problem where there are very few drivers on the Win 98 Parallels Tools image. I hope it was an oversight and that a proper setup.exe is meant to be bundled.

The Parallels devs are really busy, but I hope they can give Win98 some attention in the next week or so.

6. eread

eread Member

Corrupted graphics when booting Win98.

Report ID 12833.

7. eread

eread Member

Seemingly missing Parallels Tools setup for Win98 in PD4.

Report ID 12837.

8. slk

slk Junior Member

Sound and video in Win98SE

If you can lay your hands on the \Library\Parallels\Tools\vmtools.iso from Parallels _3_ (viva Time Machine!), try it in Parallels 4.0. It worked for me, exactly per the Parallels Tools 3.0 docs (manual install for sound and video). This is on a Win98SE virtual machine created (not imported) in Parallels 4, on a MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.0Ghz.

9. eread

eread Member

Heh. Thanks for that. If only I actually backed up my system files (I use time machine on my Documents and Email only).

Are the old ISOs available for download anywhere? On a hunch, I thought these old drivers might be available officially so I have hunted through the Knowledge base without luck.

Also, if the old version 3 drivers work, I wonder why the Parallels team don't just bundle them with version 4? How much effort would it take to certify these drivers for PD4?

Thanks.

10. desgael

desgael Pro

The Tools from Parallels 3.0 version is not fully compatible with Parallels 4.0 version, so using them might lead to an unexpected behavior.

We have created a ticket for you: # 674265 and sent the vmtools.iso from 4.0 version (it is too big to attach here). Please, check your e-mail to find it.

11. eread

eread Member

Hi,

I am guessing I have vmtools.iso for PD4 still. We are only experimenting with version 3 tools because we want full Win98 support. On another thread, it looks like this is being seriously discussed with Developers.

Thanks.

12. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Dear eread,

There is a little misunderstanding. My colleague did a mistyping telling you that he has sent a vmtools.iso from version 4. You know, there is no such a file in version 4, because tools were separated to prl-tools-win.iso, prl-tools-lin.iso, prl-tools-mac.iso etc. The file he sent is from version 3 and should suite you for installing Windows 9x drivers. But still, as they are not fully compatible with version 4, installing them might lead to virtual machine instability.

13. pingaloca1

pingaloca1 Junior Member

Ok, was this issue ever resolved?? I still have this same problem with the parallels tools having os/2 audio drivers, this is for parallels 4.

14. eread

eread Member

Any official work on if/when support is coming back?

15. wad11656

wad11656 Bit poster

I still need sound drivers for Parallels 4!

Did the old Parallels 3 .iso file work to download the audio drivers? Did it present any problems in Parallels 4?

Also, there's no automatic mouse detecting drivers for Windows 98, are there? Where if you just drag your mouse across the virtual machine's window, it captures the mouse, and once you click inside, you don't have to press ctrl+alt every time to exit the virtual machine window? (Wow, talk about run-on sentences!)

16. Thomas Erno

Thomas Erno Bit poster

Need Parallels 3 vmtools.iso to get W98 audio working

I really need to get Windows 98 fully functional on my Parallels 4.0. I have been searching threads and found that the ONLY way to get this OS's audio to work is to have one of you (Parallels developers) email me the vmtools.iso from Parallels 3. Could you please do this asap since I purchased the product explicitly for Windows 98, since there are legacy games that only work in pre-NT OS's.

Thatks,

Tom

17. wad11656

wad11656 Bit poster

Unless you are about to release a new update/build of Parallels Desktop with full Windows 98 & Windows 98 SE support, please also e-mail me the vmtools.iso file. And better yet, after e-mailing me the .iso, make it available for widespread download for others that may be in the same situation.

Thank you!

18. GarrettS

GarrettS Bit poster

Please email me a copy of the vmtools.iso
    Thanks

19. andylreilly

andylreilly Bit poster

I'd like a copy of the vmtools.iso as well, please.

20. MNikeC

MNikeC Bit poster

Ditto

I also need the vmtools.iso to get sound working on windows 98 under parallels 4. Please email it to me. Thanks.