Print Driver in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Glen Malan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Glen Malan

Glen Malan Bit poster

I installed Parallels 5. Brought over/converted a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. Ran parallels tools.

It did not install the HP8500 print driver for shared printing with the Mac. I need to be able to share the host printer as I move around quite a bit.

Please help.
    Thanks

2. Glen Malan

Glen Malan Bit poster

anyone having the same issue?

3. DaneCC

DaneCC Junior Member

I have learned my lessons over time with Parallels.
    I uninstalled parallels version 4 and removed all associated folders and vms.
    I have always launched windows xp from bootcamp and kept it updated which allows me to remove the vms before upgrades.
    I even kept the previous version of Parallels Internet Security Powered by Kaspersky from version 4
    I did not uninstall that or try to install the latest version of Kaspersky in Parallels 5
    I installed and imported the boothcamp partition for WINXP 32 bit and noticed I did not have to activate windows XP again.
    It was a breeze, it runs faster in coherence and crystal mode than I have ever seen it run on a stand alone PC.
    Unfortunately boot camp does not allow the install of Windows 7 64x unless I first uninstall XP or upgrade to 7.
    Apple does not yet support WIN7, they plan is to support it by January 2010.
    That left me only one option to import the Fusion Windows 7 64x or create a fresh vm using my WIN7 disk.
    I opted to import the Fusion Windows 7 64x vm.
    This is were I discovered that Parallels 5 is not ready for prime time on WIN7
    I noticed it took quite some time to install Parallels tools to the point that it appeared not to be installed.
    I click to install Parallels tools and a window finally came up with something like continuing 4 of 4
    It appeared to be complete, I restarted and just to be certain I shutdown WIN7 when it restarted and I shutdown the mac.
    I powered it back on 5 miniutes later and I ran parallels to take a look at the hippie version of WIN7 64 bit.
    I went straight to the device manager to verify that all devices were installed.
    I could not see a printer and it seem to have an error recognizing the CPU.
    I uninstalled the CPU, shutdown and restarted then reinstalled parallels tools and the CPU was finally recognized.
    I tried to print a test page and found that the printer was not installed even though it appear to be recognized on the bottom of the parallels taskbar as Photosmart C8100 series.
    I found that the print spooler service which works flawlessly in Fusion 3 would start and quit because Parallels was not able to install a default printer even after 2 more attempts to reinstall the tools.
    I have since delete the imported Paralles vm for WIN7 64 bit and continue to run it in Fusion.
    I had problems getting it to connect to the internet but was able to configure that.
    I will watch the forum and wait for the next version release to 5.01 and bootcamp support for WIN7 64 bit.

4. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

To solve the problem just install HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS driver inside your Windows 7.

Alexander

5. BertrandP

BertrandP Junior Member

@alexg

I've the same issue, and your solution CAN'T be EVEN installed. The fact is that the Printer Spooler Service FAILS to run, so whenever I try to install a printer it says either that the Spooler Service is not running, or if I do it just after having started it manually, it gives an error 0X000006be and the service crashed (not started again).

I've solved the issue by removing all already installed printers removing appropriates registry keys, as explained on this page: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...g/thread/3e47b7b6-00a3-47e1-9e28-e615fbff5f87

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. alexg

Hi,

I'm sorry not giving you step by step instructions how to install printer driver in Windows 7. Uninstalling the previous driver is a right way before installing a new one.

Sorry for giving you troubles once again.

Alexander

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. Mark Ellis

Mark Ellis Bit poster

Just a word to complement you on your professionalism, Alexander. Bravo!

8. Glen Malan

Glen Malan Bit poster

I tried the HP 2800 and all it does is print pages of garbled lines.

9. alexg

Is it PS (PostScript) driver? It should has PS in its name. What your Mac printer?

10. James Berk

James Berk Bit poster

Printing from Parallels 5 /W7 Virtual Guest

Hey, I've run into the same problem: inability to print from Windows 7 in Parallels 5.0. I accidentally deleted the "HP Color Printer 8500PS" from the available print devices. Would appreciate advice on how to reinstall this driver without reinstalling the entire Parallels virtual machine from scratch. Is the proper print driver located within the Parallels program files, and if so where? Many thanks -

11. StephanF

StephanF Bit poster

Ricoh Printer

Hi there,

ran also in trouble. Converted my 64-bit machine from Fusion 3 to PD5.
    I 've installed latest build. Had to delete my old printers,
    uninstalled PD Tools, rebooted and reinstalled PD Tools.

Now I have a HP Color LaserJet 2800 PS Printer installed. I understood that PD uses
    this as a generic printer driver, so I can print so far.

But I can't use the properties of the Ricoh SP C811DN when I try print.

If I try to install this printer as a network printer I get the error "Unable to install Printer. The Print Processor does not exist." It doesn't matter what kind of printer I try to install.

So any idea? Is this behavior by design or is it a bug?

Kind Regards,

Stephan

12. PYJ2K

PYJ2K Bit poster

This is exactly what happened to me, I didn't understand the significance of the HP Colour Laserjet, I saw it and deleted it. But now realised I shouldn't have, any help on getting it back, using Windows XP, don't know which Port to use?

13. alexg

To getting it back just reinstall Parallels Tools using a Virtual Machine menu.

Alexander

14. alexg

15. PYJ2K

PYJ2K Bit poster

I have done this twice, and it reinstalls Parallels Tools fine, but still no sign of a Printer :-(

16. alexg

You can install printer using "Add a Printer" wizard in Windows XP. Just use HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS printer driver connected to LPT1 port.

Alexander

17. PYJ2K

PYJ2K Bit poster

Thank you Alexander, I tried that and now it comes up in my Mac Printer queue but with the following error message: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number -31000. So I'm one step closer... Thanks.

18. alexg

19. JeffreyP

JeffreyP Junior Member

that error msg means that you need to power cycle the printer.

there wasn't that easier than posting a link. ;=)

20. alexg

Sorry but I'm not a seer. I do not see what happens on your side. I have spent a time to search a solution. If solution doesn't work it seems what your problem is not there. Need more investigation. Did you try to find a solution on Microsoft site? It seems the OS problem. 8)

Alexander