LiveMeeting mouse performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Granite, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Granite

Granite Junior Member

A co-worker and I are both running Windows 7 on Parallels 5. In both cases, we experience poor mouse performance when sharing using LiveMeeting.

This was discussed years ago here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=4836&highlight=livemeeting

I don't even see a setting for mouse synchronization in Parallels 5. Is there one, or another workaround?

2. EirenS

EirenS Bit poster

I get this too.

I get this too.

VIRTUAL MACHINE DETAILS
    XP Pro virtual machine
    LiveMeeting service (current version)

HOST DETAILS
    OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
    Parallels Desktop 5.0.9344

The mouse goes nuts when I'm sharing my desktop via LiveMeeting inside Parallels Desktop. The mouse pointer just jumps all over the place. Erratic.

3. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi EirenS,
    can you please provide exact steps to reproduce the issue and exact LiveMeeting version (download link if possible)?

4. EirenS

EirenS Bit poster

Steps to reproduce

I can't supply LiveMeeting version -- I don't know how to get it. It's a Microsoft web-based desktop sharing service. Perhaps the best way to reproduce this is to try it today using their service.

VERSION INFO
    Parallels Desktop 5.0.9344

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Boot XP Pro in a Parallels Desktop VM.
    2. Log into LiveMeeting as a presenter.
    3. Share a selected area of your desktop with LiveMeeting.

OBSERVED (INCORRECT) BEHAVIOUR
    4. Observe that the CPU usage gets pinned/100pct (both cores of my Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz processor at 100pct) when you move your mouse inside the desktop region shared by LiveMeeting.
    5. Observe that while this is happening, the mouse goes "nuts", jumping all over the place.

EXPECTED (CORRECT) BEHAVIOUR
    I expected
    A. CPU usage to be perhaps 20pct, not 100pct
    B. Mouse to behave normally when used in the desktop area shared by LiveMeeting.

5. Granite

Granite Junior Member

Here's my info:
    LiveMeeting version 8.0.6362.187
    Windows 7 Enterprise virtual machine set to 2 GB RAM running in 64 bit mode (all windows updates applied)
    early 2008 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.3 with 4 GB RAM

steps to reproduce:
    - host a livemeeting
    - share my screen or program (microsoft office excel 2008)
    - cursor performance becomes nearly unusable while sharing screen. turning off screen sharing removes issue

6. iduff

iduff Product Expert

I have this same problem.

I was having it on my 2GB 1,1 MBP/10.6.3/build 9344, and am still having it on my new (Wow!) 8GB, Core i7 6,1 MBP/10.6.3/build 9344. Both using latest LiveMeeting. It happens in an XP x86, Win7 x86 or Win7 x64 VM.

The mouse cursor gets impossible to position, jumping all over the place, as soon as I share anything, be it an individual app or the whole Windows desktop.

7. Granite

Granite Junior Member

I should add that this issue makes Parallels unacceptable for use at my company (which relies on LiveMeeting for collaborating with teams around the world). Until this is resolved (which isn't promising given that it was reported years ago), I will be recommending VMWare to coworkers.

8. iduff

iduff Product Expert

So, just for chuckles and grins, I just tried LiveBeating in Office Pro 2010 x64 on a Win7 x64 Enterprise VM in 5.0 build 9344 on my shiny 2.66GHz Core i7 MBP6,1, to see if all 64-bit would help. Nope. Sucks just as bad in 64-bit as in 32-bit, it just sucks twice as wide.

My test was pretty simple, if Parallels dev or support staff would like to repro:
    1. Verify that my LiveBeating account is configured correctly in Outlook.
    2. Open any random Excel spreadsheet.
    3. Start a Meet Now meeting with myself from within Outlook.
    4. Share the Excel spreadsheet.
    5. Try to accurately navigate the cursor around with my mouse, to do things like resize column widths, or select entire rows.

Rots-o-ruck, no joy.

9. EirenS

EirenS Bit poster

Could someone from the Parallels support area look into this, please?

10. EirenS

EirenS Bit poster

Still no reply from Parallels Support

Still no reply from Parallels Support. Could someone please help us with this problem we're having with Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac?

11. moas

moas Junior Member

I have Exactly the same problem... if you try to drag a window in the session to resize it (e.g. make a Word app window bigger, being shared on a full desktop) the mouse jumps all over the place and 1/4 tries you can manage to grap it.

This is VERY frustrating and I'm now looking into VMware myself. That and Smart Associations screwing up Office 2010 is a real pain.

You guys need to do more testing on the common software platforms (e.g. Office, desktop sharing like WebEx, GoToMeeting and Livemeeting) before releasing a product. Not a fan of being your beta tester for "months".

12. James Arendt

James Arendt Bit poster

Use Coherence mode when using LiveMeeting

Switch to Coherence mode. Do not use Window, Modality, or Fullscreen mode when sharing in LiveMeeting.

13. I-che

I-che Pro

hi,
    can you please try to disable SmartMouse in Configuration as per this link and let me know if the LiveMeeting mouse performance improved?