Windows 7 video issues with 10.6.3 and Parallels Build 9344

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ianross, Mar 30, 2010.

1. MarcusH

MarcusH Junior Member

Poor communication

Parallels Team: Please communicate with your users on the issue.

2. John Lowry

John Lowry Bit poster

10.3 w/DisplayLink and Win7

A detail from my experience: The "blank screen" problem only occurs after I install parallels tools on the guest. Win7 guest w/o parallels tools works fine with DisplayLink.

Win7 event logs report nothing.
    DisplayLink generates a crash log.
    Parallels log also supplies data.

Looking forward to a resolution !

Attached Files:

3. uotony

uotony Member

Workaround: Disable USB Controller on VM

Thanks to John Lowry for the inspiration!

I removed the USB controller in my VM configuration, and it started up just fine. Keyboard and mouse both work the way they should.

John, you can re-install Parallels Tools with this workaround.

And, Parallels: I'm a willing tester for fixes!

4. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

How does removing the USB controller affect any other USB devices - scanner, printer, external drives?

5. John Lowry

John Lowry Bit poster

Good idea but it doesn't work for me.

Couple of more notes:
    - This only happens on my Win7 Ultimate VM with parallels tools. No other VM is affected.
    (Solaris, Ubuntu, BT4, WinXP, WinME, BSD)
    - Starting Win7 in safe mode seems to work, but it has to be "Safe Mode" and
    not "Safe Mode with networking", etc.

My situation seems a lot like Fred Hall's back on April 18.

6. uotony

uotony Member

Unfortunately, you won't be able to connect any other USB devices. I connect to printers and storage over the network, and don't have a need to connect via USB. Sorry!

7. cny_geek

cny_geek Junior Member

I was able to physically disconnect my USB monitor....let the system sit for 10 or 15 minutes (make sure it knew the monitor was gone), then fire up Parallels and have it display. Not very convenient, but at least it's a workaround until we get a fix.

8. travt

travt Bit poster

aha!

wow, I'm glad I finally found this thread. I've been going mad trying to fix this issue for a client. She's got a macbook pro and a samsung external monitor. Windows 7 boots to black. I tried reinstalling the parallels tools. I even went so far as to re-install windows and the issue persists.

For me, I'm able to boot into crystal and can see things and from there I can un-install and re-install parallels tools and then on a reboot of the VM everything works fine. However, after rebooting the macbook, back to black.

Crossing fingers there's a fix for this soon...

9. travt

travt Bit poster

somehow I lost a post? I just wrote something about how I'm having this same issue but it seems to have disappeared into the void...?

mbp, samsung monitor, same issues described here

10. ianross

ianross Junior Member

Is a fix coming?

Parallels team - what's the status on a fix for this?

Problem was introduced with 10.6.3 in March. A fix was apparently delayed to test with new MBP hardware. Still no fix in June and now 10.6.4 is out. Will we have to wait for testing with 10.6.4 now?

11. BPM

BPM Bit poster

Another User with the issue

I am also suffering from the Paralells / DisplayLink issue and the BSOD at boot. Please know that for every one post you see here, there are dozens of people who have no idea what is going on and who never make it to this forum. Looking forward to being a tester for this fix in advance of the service pack...

-B

12. Joshua Jack

Joshua Jack Bit poster

13. uotony

uotony Member

Thanks for the tip Joshua, installing the XPDM driver worked like a charm! Follow the link in Joshua's post to get installation instructions.

Sweet!

14. khirok

khirok Bit poster

My previous post appears to have been deleted.

Parallels Team:
    Will this be fixed in Parallels 5 or are you going to force us to upgrade to Paralells 6 to fix this?

15. riorben

riorben Bit poster

This is still an issue in Parallels Desktop 6.

I will try Joshua Jack's suggestion and see if it works in version 6 as well.

~ Ben