Parallels 6 -- Parallels Tools failing to install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GeoffreyC, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Yankguy

Yankguy Bit poster

I get this "Root enumerated device" Error

This is on XP, mac Pro, 8xZeon, 16GB Ram, 8 TB HDD..

I only use Windose for testing, but would like to install PD6

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Somnus

Somnus Bit poster

Thanks guys :)
    I uninstalled Parallels Tools→restart→turn off the ESET、reinstalled parallels Tools.
    it works fine, now.

3. Jawknee

Jawknee Bit poster

Parallels Tools are not installed

"Parallels Tools are not installed. From the Virtual Machine menu, choose Install Parallels Tools."

I have tried to run the Install as described above but nothing happens. I don't know how to get the tools to install and every time I restart Parallels it goes through the same upgrade process every time.

John

4. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

John - likely you need to follow directions in dialog box when you choose Install Parallels Tools. If nothing happens, open My Comnputer, go to virtual CD of Parallels Tools. Open it and double-click installer. I am going from memory so these may not be the exact names, but just a guess this is the solution for you.

5. Jeff Stutsman

Jeff Stutsman Bit poster

Windows 7 + Parallels 6

I am running Windows 7 and upgraded to Parallels 6 today. I opened up my VM and Parallel Tools started to install and then came a BSOD. I rebooted and now every time I try to install Parallels Tools 6 it gets to the very end and then does a rollback and says it cannot install and to restart my computer and try again. It then forces me to reboot my VM, and this is an endless loop I cannot get out of. I tried running System Restore and that didn't work, I have tried to remove any instance of Parallel Tools 5 and tried to install but it always gets to the very end and then rolls back all changes and says unable to install. Any ideas would be helpful I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

6. AlmirG

AlmirG Bit poster

Hi Summitscout
    Is it possible to get to the problem without waiting 2 hours to the installation program to ask for the files?
    Any ideas?

7. Jawknee

Jawknee Bit poster

There is no Virtual CD of Parallels Tools when I go to My Computer. It sounds like the installer isn't found and that's why nothing is happening when I follow the dialog box instructions. Is there a way to manually install the Parallels Tools? Or is there a download for the Tools that I can get?

8. zoomy942

zoomy942 Bit poster

Here is my log. it's in a zip file to get under the max allowed size of file uploading.

Attached Files:

9. cmar

cmar Bit poster

Please Help

I've lost a whole day of work with this Parallels 6 upgrade. Every time I start the install it goes all the way to the end. The status bar is green and 100% but never completes, never shows a dialog asking for additional files.

Is there anyway to force this or a log to check to see what is going on?

Following an earlier post, I waited for 3 hours but nothing happened.

10. Herve

Herve Bit poster

Hi everybody,

Have the same issue than cmar exepted that I receive an error message saying: An error happens during the install of an assembly component (98CB24AD-5FB-DB5F-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E) HResult: 0x80070422 on Windows 7.

Hi tried to delete and install Parallels 6 after cleaning the registry for the Parallels Tools entries in my VM and repair the .net framework 4 (a kb article about a previous version of // is telling to do it with the 2 and 3.5 framework) without success.

I'm also nervous because when I try to update Parallels the update server is not found, means that they will have to publish a downloadable upgrade to be able to fix the problem. If the problem persist I will probably roll back to Parallels 5, does anybody have experienced this ?

For sure, next time I will wait for several month and release before upgrading...

11. DarronF

DarronF Bit poster

i swear parallels uses their users as testers. every release has some major problem on the first day. i purchased my upgrade, but i didn't dare install it for the bad memories of not being able to upgrade virtual machines and being stuck without the ability to use my system.

i love parallels, when it's stable...

12. Yankguy

Yankguy Bit poster

Still NO luck installing Tools

I even put the whole virtual disk on a USB drive and tried to install.

Control panel does not show Parallel tools as an installed application.

Since I deleted the application my screen looks a mess, going to have to clear this up eventually.

Isn't anyone working on this ?

13. Herve

Herve Bit poster

I read that there is a folder to delete in the registry (have tried) to remove completly the tools, local_machine/parrallels/Tools or something like that.

Hope this will help...

14. Yankguy

Yankguy Bit poster

Registry edit did not fix it

I used regedit to delete the tools entry, reset the VM and retried.. no luck at all

15. Carlos

Carlos Bit poster

USB Controller deactivate ...

might help.

Just look if during the upgrade an usb-controller was activated. I had to close the usb-controller for a successful installation of the parallels tools. I'm now testing the rest ...

16. STim

STim Bit poster

Carlos, can you elaborate more on your issue and what exactly did you do to fix it?

17. Usires

Usires Bit poster

Hi everyone!

Just found a quick workaround for the installation problem. Had the same errors with a XP SP3-VM as many of you here-- installation routine would show a 100% progress bar, hardware wizard windows with a "Done" button, after clicking that the rollback of the tools starts and the VM becomes useless.

Here's how it worked for me:
    - Start Parallels Tools installation.
    - Wait for the Hardware Wizard window-- don't click "Done"!
    - Activate the task manager with a right click on the taskbar.
    - Highlight the hardware wizard entry in "Applications" and click "End application".
    - Another dialogue window comes up asking if you want to continue-- you want.
    - After that, Windows asks for a driver "ksuser.dll" - locate it inside C:/Windows/System32.
    - Might be Windows wants "ks.sys" as well after that-- locate it at C:/Windows/System32/drivers.

After these steps the installation finished without any errors-- and after a short reboot of the VM everything is smooth and runs absolutely great.

But, well, yes, I think the Parallels Tools installer needs a patch.

Hope this helps!

[UPDATE] Just found two additional mouse/HID-entries in the Device Manager with a warning symbol. I just deactivated the devices for now, everything is working fine so far.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  18. Carlos

Carlos Bit poster

In the third configuration screen ( XP - Hardware) of the virtual machine I deleted USB controller (it was activated before). After this I could install parallel tools.

19. lazrotoo

lazrotoo Bit poster

Failed to create root enumerated device

The root enumerate problem happened to me as well. This was after the last desperate step in the fixit guide (article 8969) which eats windows. You need to boot in safe mode, then when it shows the yes-No dialog, select "no" and it will let you restore from the last time prior to this. Mine was a few days older unhappily and the stuff between may be cast into the abyss.
    When it starts, keep a close eye on it and stop the automatic install. You have a few seconds to do this.
    Now you are back more or less where you started but no further ahead.

Good luck

20. lazrotoo

lazrotoo Bit poster

You need to restore. Go to safe mode and then click "no" and choose the restore date. I was pretty alarmed too! Did you get this after you did the last step on their fixit article?