No network adapters installed after upgrade to Parallels 6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tonygonz, Sep 18, 2010.

1. tonygonz

tonygonz Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 6 (from 5), but have no network connectivity because no network adapters were installed along with Win7 Pro 64 bit (upgraded from XP). I tried scanning for hardware changes in the device manager as suggested in a related KB entry, but get a "Device driver software was not installed" error from Windows. The results show "No driver found" errors for "PCI Device", "Ethernet Controller", and "Multimedia Audio Controller".

This is happening on an i7 iMac running OS X 10.6.4. Any suggestions?

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Have you changed guest OS type accordingly after upgrading your Windows XP to Windows 7? Please check it in Virtual Machine Configuration->General tab.

Guest OS type is written under VM name. It should be "Windows 7", not "Windows XP".

3. tonygonz

tonygonz Bit poster

Hi, STim. Thanks for your reply. Yes, I changed the Guest OS type after the upgrade.

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Thank you. So we will need more technical information about this issue. Please,
    1. In Windows go to Start menu->Run. Type "cmd" without quotes and hit Enter.
    2. Maximize the console window opened.
    3. Type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and hit Enter. It will give some output about network interfaces config in your Windows.
    4. Go to Parallels Desktop's Help->Report a problem menu, send it and write here its ID.

5. tonygonz

tonygonz Bit poster

I hope that this doesn't sound snippy, but ipconfig won't give much information when no network adapters have been installed. (Also, does Win 7 have a "run" command?)

Regardless, the output from ipconfig is:

Primary Dns Suffix: <blank>
    Node Type: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

...and that's all.

6. tonygonz

tonygonz Bit poster

I sent the Problem Report. Its ID is 6674312

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'd recommend first to try to reinstall the Parallels Tools. To do so, uninstall it first via Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall. Then reboot the VM and install it again using menu of Parallels Desktop "Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools".

8. RetoW

RetoW Bit poster

the same problem!!!

i have try all this tips here but dosn't work. I can't install a network driver. Any other ideas? Thx

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

make sure that VM is in Shared Networking mode. If this doesn't help, please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

10. MenaR

MenaR Bit poster

Yikes, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem. Mine just has limited connectivity and won't run anything.

11. Mondy

Mondy Bit poster

Hello,

I have the same problems too.
    I tested updating from an existing and working Windows XP Installation.
    I created an new virtual machine too, and installed a new version of windows 7.

No driver for network adapter, audio and a pci-perepheriie is installed.

In the old parallels version 5 I didn't had this problems.

What can I do?

12. Mondy

Mondy Bit poster

In my version, it looks like the parralels-tools are installed. But in control panel - programs - uninstall, there was no software installed. I reinstalled the parallel tools with < Virtuelle Maschine - Parallels Tools neu installieren >. After restart it works fine.

13. UlricS

UlricS Bit poster

Hi, I'm having a very similar issue. I installed Parallels 6 as an upgrade and now my Windows 7 Bootcamp does not show any network adapters. I have reported the problem.

Report ID 7180746.

14. JerzyG

JerzyG Bit poster

did you get the issue resolved?

I'm having exactly the same problem after upgrading to 6."No driver found" errors for "PCI Device", "Ethernet Controller", and "Multimedia Audio Controller".

15. NealF

NealF Bit poster

Has this been solved somewhere?

It's been 6 months since the original issue was reported. Any luck with a solution to this?

16. IainMac

IainMac Bit poster

Another person with same problems

Only when I tried to email support, apparently I don't have a support option in my package for this, althoughI paid for the upgrade yesterday - which means I would expect a level of support for a temporary period for set up issues exactly such as this...

no ethernet
    no pci
    no audio
    no good....

17. IainMac

IainMac Bit poster

Actually BINGO!!
    I followed thre thread to remove and reinstall parallels tools from control panel (in windows, just in case anyone didnt get what was assumed), and found it hadnt been installed in the first place.
    Performed a reinstall, and presto!!!

Up and Running

18. RosyT

RosyT Bit poster

Worked for me!
    Virtual Machine / Install/Reinstall Parallel Tools

Now both the sound and networking work!. Remember, if you have changed the network configuration (in your frustration), make sure to select 'Default Adapter' in all instances to gain network access.

19. ApriM

ApriM Bit poster

No Driver Found

I am using MacBook Air and this happened to me too when I tried to login directly to Window 7 (but not if I opened Windows using Virtual Machine)
    The device driver tried to install but No Driver Found for:
    SM Bus Controller
    Coprocessor
    Network Controller
    Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    Built-in iSight

"Device driver software was not successfully installed"

I tried to re-install the parallel tools via VM and it worked if I login to Window 7 from VM but if I tried to login directly to Window 7 (not through Mac OS), I cannot access internet.

I don't know why it worked if I used VM but it did not work if I login directly to Window 7.

Anybody can help?

I have re-installed the parallel desktop twice but still same problem :(

Window 7 Home Edition, 64 bit

20. sashapave

sashapave Bit poster

I had the same issue after upgrading to the latest version of Parallels 6. No active network adapter, and when I tried to enable one, it gave an error.

Re-installing the Parallels tools wasn't enough, I had to un-install first, then re-install again.

Now it works great.