Problem: "Maximize" Window in Coherence Randomly Resizing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PhoenixRebourne, Mar 11, 2011.

1. PhoenixRebourne

PhoenixRebourne Bit poster

What I do before the problem starts:
    I start Windows 7 and logg into my Windows account. The Desktop loads normally. Then, I switch to Coherence mode. From here, I start an application, any application that can be "Maximized". By "maximized", I mean that, if I were in Windows itself or in full screen mode, it would take up the entire desktop but _not_ the "Windows bar" or "Start bar" or whatever it is called that the "Windows/Start" button is on. Because I am in Coherence mode, the application, being maximized, takes up the entire Mac desktop except for the Mac bar at the top and the application bar at the bottom. There is no "Windows bar" present. This is exactly as is expected.

The problem:
    Randomly, it seems, the maximized window will become shorter for a fraction of a second and then return to its normal size. By shorter, I mean the bottom of the window will come up to make room for the "Windows bar". Because it happens so quickly I cannot be sure, but it appears that the "Windows bar" is appearing, forcing the maximized application to resize itself, and then disappearing, again forcing the maximized window to resize itself back to its original maximized size. It doesn't actually interrupt what I am doing within Windows, like if I keep typing the input isn't suspended, but it is super annoying.

What I have done to test:
    - I have tried it with multiple applications, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. They all do it.
    - I have tried just letting the program sit there, maximized, without any interaction on my part, and it happens.
    - If I am in Coherence, but there are no maximized windows it doesn't seem to happen. I don't ever see the bar appear, and there appears to be no resizing of any of the open windows.

Thanks,

John

2. JoshP

JoshP Bit poster

I'm having the same exact problem. It is as if the Windows Start Bar is trying to appear for just a moment. It is very annoying. If you set the Windows Start Bar to auto hide then the full screen Windows application will not resize, however, you will see the Windows Start Bar appear momentarily on top of the full screen Windows application. Definitely something the Parallels team needs to fix.

- JrP

3. Chri12345

Chri12345 Junior Member

When I saw the headline, I had to laugh and think, "You mean that it's emulating the Mac's green "maximize" button?"

Seriously though, I see this resizing and transient Windows Start/Taskbar also. It's annoying and a little scary. Parallels 5 on XP didn't do it. P6/Win7 does it.

4. PhoenixRebourne

PhoenixRebourne Bit poster

I switched it to autohide the Windows Start Bar (officially "Task Bar" I found out) and have not see it appear yet. Now that I think about it, I believe it used to automatically turn on autohide for the Windows Start Bar when you went into Coherence Mode. I remember this because when you would switch out of Coherence Mode it wouldn't switch it back, and I found that very annoying.

:) I have been in Mac-land too long now. That would be a pretty crazy/awesome bug, though.

Parallels Team, please look into this.

Thanks,

John