PD 7 Multi Monitor Support

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Leif ArneB, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Leif ArneB

Leif ArneB Bit poster

Dear Community & Parallels Inc,

I just upgraded from Parallels 6 running on OSX Lion to PD 7 on OSX Lion. I have a dual monitor setup where I always run OSX on my Macbook Pro monitor, and Windows 7 on the attached external Monitor. Both monitor runs in full screen.

The ability to run to OS´s in full screen on separate monitors seems to have vanished after upgrading to PD 7. I have two questions;

1. Any tips on how to bring the functionality back?
    2. If the PD team has removed this option, what where you thinking? And when will you fix this? :)

Thanks
    Leif Arne - Norway

2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

A major part of the issue is that Lion hoses multiple
    monitor support on everything.

you may try this
    as posted by vasilyz of Parallels.

3. rauckr

rauckr Member

Same Multi-Monitor Problem

I also can no longer get Windows 7 to run full screen on my second monitor. Window mode works but full screen mode jumps back to the MacBook monitor in a new desktop and refuses to move.

4. Thlax

Thlax Junior Member

This works for the full screen problem, however the other problem i ran into is the fact that P7 (if not in full screen mode, or now after i did the quote above, that too), stays on that screen no matter which workspace I am in on my computer. My Right screen's workspaces are pointless now because P7 moves to all of them whenever I switch. Help?

5. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

It also seems that Mission Control in Lion is a work in
    progress rather than a finished product. Many people
    are complaining about its multitude of faults as compared
    to how Spaces worked.

6. rauckr

rauckr Member

Lion and Paralels 7 Multi-monitor Support

I did try the suggestion of requiring the password for exiting full screen mode. That gave me Windows on both screens and that is worthless.

7. vasilyz

vasilyz Parallels Developers

Untick
    View->Use All Displays in Full Screen
    or
    Config->Options->Full Screen->Use all displays in full screen

8. Einar Ingebrigtsen

Einar Ingebrigtsen Bit poster

I'm having this same issue and kinda regret upgrading to version 7. Using fullscreen on Lion with 2 monitors, gives me the gray Lion backdrop on one of the monitors.

Is there anyway to get the version 6 behavior at all for fullscreen - keeping whatever I have on the second monitor intact?

9. jarhead

jarhead Bit poster

Read the second post above as posted by EllwoodN. Tells you exactly how to do so.

10. jarhead

jarhead Bit poster

The recommended fix works as Parallels 7 now runs in fullscreen mode like in Parallels 6. However, Parallels 7 does not detect my second monitor even though I have "Use all displays in full screen" selected. Any ideas?

11. Einar Ingebrigtsen

Sorry.. Missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Works out fine now..

12. jarhead

jarhead Bit poster

No problem. Glad its working for you.

13. Einar Ingebrigtsen

I'd rather have it as an explicit option though - hacks like this are easy to forget and when a new Mac enters the building you start investigating and time is lost. Its not exactly an obvious workaround.. :)

So hoping Parallels will actually add this as a feature rather than an accidental behavior.

14. BinfordsTool

BinfordsTool Junior Member

Is there a way to stop the dock/menubar from disappearing with this workaround? I miss mail notifications when working in access

15. Einar Ingebrigtsen

One issue though with this workaround is that Cmd+Tab doesn't work anymore, something I use a lot. Also I use ctrl+alt for getting to the dock and menus which just pops up a message telling me to exit fullscreen.