Win7 Guest OS Network Adapter Fails after Flash Install

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by SonicRealism, Oct 17, 2011.

1. SonicRealism

SonicRealism Bit poster

Not sure what the real "cause and effect" relationship here is but ...

I installed Adobe Flash Player for Firefox yesterday for my Win7 Guest OS and suddenly lost my network connection on reboot of the Win7 Guest OS.

I have searched and read numerous articles and tried just about everything suggested. I need some guidance, please.
    (And if this is the wrong forum, please redirect me to the correct place. Thanks.)

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Parallel Tools, uninstalled/reinstalled the network adapter, changed network connection type back and forth between shared and bridged, reset the network setting in the VM's preferences, deleted and reinstalled the VMs Network1 connection, and rebooted the Guest OS after each change.

The ipconfig/all looks problematic (see below).

I am running:
    - MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011, Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM
    - OS X Lion 10.7.1
    - Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, Build 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267m September 7, 2011)
    - Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit OS

ipconfig/all gives me information of:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Shared>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Gandalf-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. skype-Acuity.satya

skype-Acuity.satya Banned

Hi

Problems comes after installing flash player .so first remove flash player and check network card is working or not .

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. skype-Acuity.satya

Hi

problem comes after installing flash player . so first remove flash player & check if netwrok card is working or not .

[​IMG]

4. SonicRealism

SonicRealism Bit poster

I actually rolled back to a restore point in the Win7 Guest OS that was a week ago, well before my firefox install and the flash player install.

All the uninstall/reinstalls etc discussed in my post occurred after the roll back; no Firefox, no Flash Player.

Further suggestions? Thanks.

5. skype-Acuity.satya

is lan card working On yours primary system. if yes you can install lan card driver manually [​IMG]

6. SonicRealism

SonicRealism Bit poster

I am using Airport on my MacOS. It work fine. The issue is from the Guest OS (Win7) which is hosted on this Mac in Parallels. It cannot connect out of the VM under any scenario I have tried (Bridged, Shared, numerous removals/reinstalls of the adapter via Device Manager, Parallels Tools has been removed and reinstalled, etc.) In Device Manager, it gives me a valid network card, a "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection" and its properties/details all say it is running OK. This is one of the network cards that a Parallels KB article says to expect.

The ipconfig/all is showing values that are different than what I've seen when the adapter was working.

Next?

7. skype-Acuity.satya

lets follow below steps[​IMG]
    1-in windows 7 ping 127.0.0.1( if getting replay jumps to 2nd steps) if not something wrong in network card driver due to whihc its not communicating with mac )
    2-enable DHCP in WINDOWS 7

8. SonicRealism

SonicRealism Bit poster

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Ping is working.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Shared>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Shared>asdf

Within Properties for the adapter, for IPv4 IP address settings, it is set to "Obtain IP Address Automatically". The same is true for IPv6. Both also are getting DNS server address automatically.

Next? (And it may be a while before I can post and get back. Thanks.)

9. SonicRealism

SonicRealism Bit poster

SOLVED.

When in doubt and logical things are, well, not logically behaving, turn off/disable/uninstall your anti-virus.

I noticed that my anti-virus icon in the system tray was giving me a message. I was unable to startup the GUI to inspect it, so I removed the anti-virus. Once I rebooted the Win7 Guest OS, I had my connectivity back. Sigh. This is not the first time my anti-virus has been the root of my problem. I should have learned that lesson by now.

Don't underestimate your anti-virus as a potential significant source of grief.