Failed to add an existing virtual machine! No boot device is available!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CindyT, Jun 30, 2009.

1. KILLGUY

KILLGUY Bit poster

Yes but how

how? to do that?????

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Reproduce the error, go to the top menu while Parallels is started, click Help --> Report a Problem.

In the Windows appeared click Send.

Remember the Problem report ID and post it here.

3. hughjaas

hughjaas Junior Member

I'm experiencing the same problem trying to migrate a physical XP machine to a VM. I tried everything.

My report ID is 12485512.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

I can see the following error in your report:

Progress update failed with error 0x8B5200F

We have no solution for this error yet as didn't meet it before. I suggest you to run Check Disk on your source machine (chkdsk /r) and try migration again

5. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

would like some help as well please

hi there. i am having a similar issue. i used parallels transporter to migrate from a boot camp win xp mac pro to an external hard drive. then moved the pvm to my macbook pro running parallels desktop 7. when i boot up using the transporter created pvm file, i tell parallels that i moved the VM, and it runs through an "upgrading windows xp process. then i can see the VM start to boot, but at the POST, it tells me "no boot device is available". i also get a parallels alert window that says "you need to log in to windows to complete configuring your virtual machine" (screenshot #1). please see attached screenshots.

i believe my configurations (screenshot #3) are correct. i have submitted an problem report. my problem report ID number is 12525621.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. YanaYana

YanaYana

try to switch type of the VM hard drive from IDE to SCSI and back

7. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

Hello YanaYana,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that, and no luck.

Just to be clear that I didn't screw up anything prior, here is my setup and situation:

I have a Mac Pro that runs Win XP Pro via Boot Camp. I installed Parallels Transporter Agent (http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v7/update2.hotfix1/ParallelsTransporterAgent-15054.722853.exe), and backed up my Win XP partition to an external USB disk.

After the migration completed, I transfer the PVM file over to my Macbook Pro running Parallels Desktop 7. When I open the VM, I tell Parallels that I am moving the VM (not copying). After some upgrading process, I am told that there is no boot device available.

Am i doing something wrong here? Am i supposed to run Parallels Transporter in Win XP, or Mac OS?

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

You did everything fine. i suppose there was a failure during the migration so OS in wot recognised. I suggest you to run scannow or chkdsk on your Boot Camp partition and try to migrate all over again.

9. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

I ran chkdsk earlier, and am now doing the migration again. Will let you know how it goes.

10. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

Also, if there i a failure during the migration, is there a log file somewhere that would document exactly what went wrong?

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

Yes - it should be on Boot Camp side - parallels.log. Problem Report can be helpful as well. To check out the Problem Report i sugget you to contact support - let them know all the steps you tried (try to reinstall transporter agent as well).

12. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

Yes, I have submitted a problem report. My problem report ID number is 12525621.

13. hank@work

hank@work Bit poster

So I found a solution to my issue. Instead of using Parallels Transporter in Windows (Boot Camp), I booted into Mac OS X and installed Parallels Desktop 7. From there, I used the "Import Boot Camp" option. That created a PVM from my Boot Camp partition. Then I was able to move the PVM file to my new Mac, and migrate without issue (had to re-activate Win XP tho).

14. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thank you for an update. glad the issue has gone

15. dahdiaz

dahdiaz Bit poster

Installing W7 on MBP retina without optical

I can't install W7 on my MBP 'cause i have the same problem as other users. What can I do? I tried to make a bootable image but it's still no working. Can you help me please?