Ubuntu 12.04 (beta) mouse pointer missing.

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RTufty, Mar 9, 2012.

1. RTufty

RTufty Bit poster

Hi,
    I've tried out the beta of Ubuntu 12.04, and it's horribly "blinky" - windows flickering in and out. Installing Parallels tools cures this, but now there's no mouse pointer! Trying to switch to coherence gives a warning "The parallels mouse synchronization service is not started." Any ideas? I've got Ubuntu 10.10 running fine under the same Parallels installation, fwiw. Parallels 7, on OSX 10.6
    Bill

2. asoehn

asoehn Junior Member

I have a similar problem with OpenSuse 12.1. No mouse. Sometimes I can see the mouse pointer, but not move it. Other (older) Linuxes run without problems.

3. cmsj

cmsj Junior Member

This seems to be because the newer version of Xorg isn't compatible with the mouse drive that Parallels currently ships. Whenever they update their mouse driver, this should start to work. You might be able to plug a USB mouse in and assign that to the VM directly. I've not tried.

4. bvleur

bvleur Bit poster

Just chiming in to say I have the same problem with Parallels 7.0.15055 and Ubuntu 12.04 (from yesterdays daily amd64 iso).

5. thorjansen

thorjansen Bit poster

Happens in latest CentOS too, as well as Fedora, etc., pretty much any of the cutting edge distros. As the new X11 is now the standard (Ubuntu 12.04 is in beta 2 now), the binaries are pretty much settled. It'd be awfully nice if the Parallels programming team could consider keeping up.

6. deepphil

deepphil Bit poster

I'm getting the same issue. I've discovered you can work around it, albeit rather clumsily, by plugging a mouse (I used a second one) directly to the VM as someone suggested above, then because the pointer is still invisible, enable Show position of pointer when Ctrl is pressed in the 'Mouse and Touchpad' settings.

Then you can at least see where the damn thing is every time you press Ctrl.

To enabled that setting using the keyboard, press Cmd to bring up the search box, type 'mouse' and press Enter, then tab to the checkbox and press Space.

I hope Parallels hurry up and fix this :-/

--
    deep phil

7. Simon Waddington

Simon Waddington Member

Still there in beta2?

Just wondering if this bug is still there when you upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 beta 2 - which if you've already installed beta 1 would mean get all the latest updates?

I've done a beta 2 update on my non-virtal PC and it works great but that is of course a much different scenario.

8. KentonT

KentonT Member

Yes, bug still exists in 12.04 Beta 2 with absolute latest version of Parallels :(

Based on past experience, Parallels won't patch these bugs until after the final release of 12.04. I'd love to be wrong though.

9. dpickett

dpickett Member

It doesn't make sense for Parallels to patch until 12.04 is final: a beta is a moving target, and there's no telling if the patch they do now won't have to be redone in the next month.

10. MichaelAos

MichaelAos Bit poster

I'm seeing it on the latest CentOS also.

11. KentonT

KentonT Member

12. michael_aos@mac.com

michael_aos@mac.com Member

Fix / update works for me in CentOS 6.2 also.

13. firewolf

firewolf Bit poster

Article does not exist.

:(

14. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

The link should have been to: http://kb.parallels.com/113623

This was the announcement of Parallels Desktop 15094, which provided experimental support for Ubuntu 12.04 and updated Xorg support to 1.11.4.

15. JWS

JWS Bit poster

Ubuntu 12.04 (NOT beta) mouse pointer missing.

I upgraded to the official release on Saturday and the mouse pointer is missing. The latest version of Parallels does not fix the problem.

Upgraded Parallels Tools using keyboard, still broken.

Suggestions?

16. JWS

JWS Bit poster

After several reboots, it's working

After at least two reboots after installing parallel tools again, the mouse pointer is back and is working now.

17. tchoklat

tchoklat Bit poster

I upgraded to the official release on Saturday and the mouse pointer is missing. The latest version of Parallels does not fix the problem.

Upgraded Parallels Tools using keyboard, still broken.

Suggestions?

HOW Do you do this. I have the same issue. No mouse after upgrading Ubuntu to the latest LTS version and also updating parallels. I cannot upgrade toools as the mouse cursor is not there.

18. firewolf

firewolf Bit poster

19. serv

serv Forum Maven

tchoklat,

To upgrade tools using keyboard in Ubuntu 12.04 press Command key once, type 'term' in search field, select Terminal using arrow keys and open it by pressing Enter.

20. user123

user123 Bit poster

What to type to the terminal

So, what do I type to the terminal to upgrade the Parallels driver?