Windows 8 Release Preview

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Michael Pitt, May 31, 2012.

1. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Hi

Early days I know...but I've got issues with the Parallels display driver and also smart mouse in the Windows 8 Release Preview made available today.

I'm not expecting a Parallels update - just hoping someone else might find a workaround to either of these issues and post them here :)

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. ParrishCo

ParrishCo Bit poster

Did you have any trouble installing the Release Preview? I had no problems with the Developer Preview or the Consumer Preview but I cant seem to install this new one. Install process right off the bat tells me that I need and am missing a CD, DVD or USB driver and that I cannot continue until I select the proper driver. Any ideas? I used the ISO image from Microsoft and selected Windows 8 as the system in Parallels Build 7.0.15094, on Lion 10.7.4 macbook pro i7 mid-2010.

3. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

No, I had no issues installing. Same build of Parallels, slightly earlier Macbook Pro than yours and using Mountain Lion Developer Preview 3 as host. I just did an express install based off the default Parallels settings when I pointed it at the ISO. I've installed the 64-bit version of Windows 8.

4. ParrishCo

ParrishCo Bit poster

Just for others who might encounter the same problem: I realized that my ISO image was slightly smaller than the stated size and figured that a corrupted image file might be to blame. It was. Re-downloaded the the ISO again and it came out as the stated size and installed perfectly. Some fluke of downloading in Chrome that showed the download as finished even though the end was chopped off.

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

Thanks for that piece of information ParrishCo. After two failed Release Preview installation attempts (missing driver error), I looked at the size of my ISO (after reading your post) and it was a few 100Mb smaller then it should have been.

So I downloaded it again with Chrome and this time the size was right, and the installation went through fine. I don't know if it's a problem with Chrome, but if you have Firefox it might be worth using that to download.

If I recall, the bad ISO didn't show the Windows Registration Box in Parallels or the option for an Express Install, so if that doesn't come up and you get the missing driver error, check the size of your ISO first.

6. KentonT

KentonT Member

Same issue (Display Adapter)

I can confirm that I have the same Parallels Display Adapter issue in the 64-bit version, very latest version of Parallels.

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

Yep, after setup went through and after installing Parallel Tools, smart mouse and window resizing didn't work for me too. And desktop background was black for me, though as I could change it, I'm not sure if this is the default colour.

8. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

The desktop picture was fine for me - default seems to be a field of tulips! :)

9. macCesar

macCesar Bit poster

Same Problem here!... Smart Mouse and Window Resizing didn't work for me either! :(

10. KentonT

KentonT Member

Same issue was in Consumer Preview...

I remember a nearly identical issue when the Consumer Preview was released back in Feb. Odds are that only an update from Parallels will resolve the display driver/smart mouse issues...

11. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

I have problems with the display to hope they fix and mouse or a driver for the display

12. Doug_W

Doug_W Bit poster

I also hope this is fixed soon.

13. dlatkins

dlatkins Junior Member

Ain't happening

I've now tried twice to install the new Windows 8 Release Preview on my new Mac mini (8GB RAM) with the latest releases of Parallels Desktop and OS X. It installs the files, reboots and seems to be moving along only to come to a halt when gets to the "Your PC will be ready in just a moment" screen. FYI, it doesn't immediately grind to a halt at this screen, but only after plugging along for a minute or two. I have MenuMeters installed, and the freeze coincides with one CPU core going to 100% utilization and switching to the other CPU core which also goes to 100%.

14. Brandon Abell

Brandon Abell Bit poster

Same for me. Macbook Pro from last year, 8 GB RAM, Lion. PD 7, up-to-date. Tried both an automatic and manual install.

15. Crewdawg

Crewdawg Junior Member

I am having the same issues. Display driver error and smart mouse does not work. I also got the black desktop, but that has no other effect on me.

The end result is no coherence mode.

Edit: My file associations are now working great.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  16. WadeHas

WadeHas Bit poster

I did get it to install after several hangs and stuff... I had to avoid using the "Express Installation" in Parallels... I couldn't figure out how to say "Don't do Express Install", and so I had to select "Other" for the OS when setting up the VM, and go through the OS setup manually, which I prefer anyway... After the OS was installed I went into the VM and changed the OS setting to "Windows 8" so that it would install the correct Parallels tools...

However, resolution does not change on window resize, but if I go into the Advanced settings and change SmartMouse from "Auto" to "On", the SmartMouse does seem to work...

17. Crewdawg

Crewdawg Junior Member

Turning smart mouse to ON did seem to make that work after a few minutes. Now we just need a work around for the display driver....

18. iamchunts

iamchunts Bit poster

I can confirm that Crewdawg's method of turning smart mouse to ON does work for the mouse issue and is very helpful!

19. TodorD

TodorD Bit poster

Same here, I have a late 2011 MBP, 8GB RAM and Lion 10.7.4.

20. serv

serv Forum Maven

All,

The quick fix for Parallels Display driver in Windows 8 Release Preview:
    1. Run Regedit (switch to desktop, press Command-R, type regedit and press Enter)
    2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ subtree
    3. Search for OpenGLDriverName and OpenGLDriverNameWow (this one for x64 only) values set to prl_gldd.dll,
    these may turn up several times. Delete all values and re-create them as multi-string type, set to prl_gldd.dll.
    4. Restart Windows 8.

If you don't need OpenGL acceleration, skip re-creating values in step 3.