Parallels Tech Guarantee for purchases & upgrades following Mountain Lion release

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Chris@Parallels, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Important Notice to Parallels Customers

Mountain Lion is a significant upgrade to OS X. The technical changes between Lion and Mountain Lion, including the new requirements for how applications launch, were also significant. In order to ensure that our customers could continue to use Parallels Desktop, we invested heavily to be able to deliver our update so that customers could move to Mountain Lion right away. It simply wasn’t feasible for us to update more than the current version of Parallels Desktop. Because we understand that some customers will want to move to Mountain Lion and will need to upgrade to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac, we have put our Tech Guarantee into place so that when we ship our next version, customers who are upgrading due to Mountain Lion will receive our next version free-of-charge. This gives these customers two upgrades for one.

For complete details, please visit: http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012/

2. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

Hello Everyone,
    I have joined this forum to let you know how I have dealt with the Mountain Lion debacle. Like everyone else I was pretty hacked off to find the only piece of software not to work following the upgrade from Lion to ML was Parallels 6. I purchased PD6 exactly one year ago, and at what it cost me I really wasn't happy to find it no longer worked following the ML install. I looked long and hard at ML and considered if it brought much to the party for my Mac usage, the answer was it did not. I know Apple claim around two hundred improvements and I don't doubt their word. However, I was quite happy with Lion and don't see ML as a must have upgrade. With that in mind I have used Time Machine to roll back a week to my Lion install. Worked a treat and Parallels now works again. I know I shouldn't have had to do this and I'm not best pleased myself. What it does allow me to do however, is give the the luxury of deciding what my next move will be without being bounced into something simply because my Windows 7 install was no longer accessible.

3. StanHvdV

StanHvdV Bit poster

Same problem here. But instead I didn't rollback to lion but installed virtualbox. Works great on ML and supports the things I need to my work. The only problem I have is to uninstall parallels. The desktop doesn't start anymore so I don't know how to remove by VM with Win 7.

Parallels just lost another customer....

4. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Updates to the Parallels Tech Guarantee

Hello from Parallels,

There has been a great deal of discussion on the boards around some of the language in our current Tech Guarantee. We have been following and listening to your comments and wanted to provide some clarification around the question of the time frame of the Tech Guarantee. We have removed the time frame/dates that many of customers were questioning. The updated language in our Tech Guarantee is listed below and the full version can still be found at: http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012/

Upgrade to the next version of Parallels Desktop at no additional cost if you purchase Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on July 25th, 2012 or later up to eight weeks after the availability of the next version of Parallels Desktop.

Customers can purchase Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac with confidence that when the next version is released, they will receive the upgrade at no additional charge based on the update to our Tech Guarantee.

5. lotw

lotw Product Expert

You can install Mountain Lion on Parallels 7. The problem is video is super slow and buggy. I have gotten to install and run except for that. Launchpad is completely useless until Parallels gets fixed. Also to get it do install you must at least give the system 2 processors.

6. idesigntec

idesigntec Bit poster

Parallels 6

I purchased 6 a little more than a year ago. It was not an insignificant decision, given the cost. Having upgraded to ML, it's now useless, and I can't even uninstall it properly, which is insult to injury.

I've downloaded the FREE VirtualBox from Oracle, and it runs perfectly on ML. Parallels, you have lost my business personally, as well as my company's business for virtualization servers. As the purchasing agent for our agency, I will not be recommending Parallels products in the future, for either our own use, or that our our clients.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  7. exuser

exuser Bit poster

Farewell Good Friend

I too have ditched the service as a result. I know this comment might get deleted but I encourage other responsible consumers that are informed to post their experiences on Amazon. With ML having support for Bootcamp and other Vmware solutions cropping up I'm not sure why push people to explore new options.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  8. JacobZ

JacobZ Junior Member

Parallels Upgrade Policy

Just as a reminder, the Parallels Tech Guarantee is available for any customer who purchased a full or upgrade version of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on or after July 25th, 2012 (the same day Mountain Lion released).

Full details of the Tech Guarantee can be found at www.parallels.com/TechGuarantee2012

9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Bit poster

Really? We have three systems that were purchased just a week or so before this date and let me guess, you will want us to pay the full upgrade fee just because we are a week off? Honestly, that doesn't seem very fair, does it?

10. RobertWise

RobertWise Member

VMWare are offering similar for their product too. No mention of time limit though, that is providing you upgrade between end of July and end of September then you are definitely guaranteed the next version for FREE!

Call me a cynic, however, I'd say Parallels are simply matching their competitors offer rather than trying to do anything for their own loyal PD6 customers.

11. therealchrisbye

therealchrisbye Bit poster

What I'm very surprised at is there is little response from the Parallels team regarding a timeline for a fix! Come on folks!

12. acjohnson

acjohnson Bit poster

I'd much rather just have compatibility with my existing Parallels 6 featureset than essentially be pre-purchasing an upgrade to Parallels 8. I'm glad Parallels has belatedly decided to do SOMETHING for customers who got rocked in the Mountain Lion upgrade, but I'll definitely be trying out VirtualBox before I commit to spending another dime on software that could stop working without warning.

13. Lifelogger

Lifelogger Bit poster

Nice! Good to see that Parallels actually does something about it. I was going to switch tot VMWare, but seeing I get a free upgrade to 8 after upgrading to version 7, made me change my mind. Just bought version 7. Hopefully 8 will come out soon. I love updates! ;-)

14. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac has been announced - September 4, 2012

Thanks! We have announced the Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac release date - September 4, 2012...more details to follow!

15. Lifelogger

Lifelogger Bit poster

Oh, that's excellent! Great news. Thank you very much.

16. chocobogamer

chocobogamer Bit poster

1) it is not a significant upgrade - apple have never used these words
    2) there is no significant change in the requirement of how programs launch. If this were the case, The FIVE year old adobe CS3 suite wouldn't run
    3) you patched Desktop 7 easily enough, without much of a filesize change.
    4) parallels 6 can be installed on Mountain lion without an error throwing up, the error comes when running the app. The error states the software cant run on version 10.8

All these imply, and from personal in-depth knowledge of programming suggest, that you have OS version detection that tells it to halt on seeing OS 10.8, and that a patch merely requires changing the maximum os = 10.7 to 10.8

I have emailed yourselves numerous times to ask why I was never notified I was entitled to the free upgrade to version 7. The response i got was basically (not in these words but implied) "aww too bad, your fault you missed out" therefore i have switched. I am not standing for that kind of customer service. Also, in this case you haven't just lost a customer, you lost money as i returned your software under warranty under eu law "not fit for purpose under 12 months"

17. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

OK wait a minute. So I have PD7 and use Lion. I was going to upgrade one of my machines today to Mountain Lion to see how it works with PD7. With the release date of September 4 so close does that mean that instead of fixing the ML issues in PD7 that I'm going to have to upgrade to PD8 for it to work correctly with ML?

If that's the case please tell us now so I stay with Lion and PD7, a combination which works perfectly for me.

18. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi carlosrodzbotet,

Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac does work with Mountain Lion and updates on version 7 will be released, if needed.
    There are additional features of Mountain Lion that will enhanced in Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac. We are not able to publish a list of features that will be available in Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac at this time but they are coming shortly.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  19. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Then I guess I'll just wait until PD8 is released to see if it's worth upgrading.

20. negativenathan

negativenathan Bit poster

This is ridiculousness. I ordered 2 copies of Parallels Desktop 20 days too early on July 5th, 2012. FML