Windows 7 - The username or password is incorrect

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SindreD, May 12, 2011.

1. SindreD

SindreD Bit poster

Hi, I am in a real jam. I am running Windows 7 enterprise through Parallels on an iMac. When I tried to log on the other day, my usual password didn't work. I can't change user or anything. I only get the message "The username or password is incorrect".

Is there any way to get me in or extract my files from the virtual machine? I really, really need help.

2. wryanthomas

wryanthomas Bit poster

I'm having same issue.

3. ServerA

ServerA Bit poster

Exact Same issue Parallels 6 and Windows 7

I'm also having the same issue. Tried removing all users and removing the Admin's password. Also when I do an "OK" in response to the "The user ID or name is incorrect" at startup the system takes me to the Admin login where if I then select "Switch Users" I get a screen with only the Admin icon and a blank icon labeled "other". None of my other users are presented for login. I can however type in one of the users names/password and that user will be logged in. When I do another "Switch User" then all of my user icons are again displayed.

4. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

I have a very similar problem. New installation of Windows 7 Home Premium. Parallels 6. Everything installed just fine, but after a couple of days I decided to put a PW on the account. Now when I boot windows it says "The username or password is incorrect." All I have to do is click the [OK] button and then enter the PW and it works fine after that.

I'm using the default Administrator account. (Why wouldn't I? It's the one the machine set up for me.)

I found this same situation for VISTA and older Parallels described in this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/5022

...but the solution doesn't work. (It doesn't find the item you're supposed to search for.)

A clue might be the the following: "Parallels Desktop for Mac application makes Vista installed in Express Mode log in as an administrator using a blank password by default. If the administrator password is changed, Vista will log in using the same blank password and this will lead to the error below."

Is that still the case? If so, how do you fix it in Windows 7?

5. Ed-Hawco

Ed-Hawco Member

Hey, I was able to fix my problem. This posting on another forum (from 2006) suggested a registry edit. I did it, and it worked. Here's the forum posting:
    http://forums.macnn.com/104/alterna...7936/parallels-and-the-administrator-account/

... and here's the regedit:

go to: Start>Run
    type: regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon

locate the string value named: AutoAdminLogon
    Click on it and change the value data to: 0

Arguably that's a workaround, not a fix, but the result is that when I boot I'm asked for a PW, which I enter, and that's it. Works fine.

Jigs Gaton likes this.
  6. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

Thanks for posting Ed, though not really the fix I'm looking but the idea you gave me is very helpful.

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. NathanielN

NathanielN Bit poster

the moment you have been waiting for.

I had a similiar issue and found this thread while looking for the resolution...
    It sounds as though there are a couple of scenarios going on: 1.) Your computer is on autologin you don't have the password for the username that occurs at login and you don't have an alternative login username and password. OR, 2.)You don't have the password for the user name at login but you DO have a alternative username and password.
    In my case (#2) this situation occured off of a company build of windows 7 and was joined to the Domain. Some how the Autologin was set with an unknown username. To resolve the issue Login to the computer with an alternative login.
    Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to launch the Run dialog box.
    Type in control userpasswords2
    Press Enter. The User Accounts window will display.
    CHECK the option Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    Click OK
    Restart your computer and the old "unkown" username and the error will be gone.
    You will nolonger have to hit "other user".
    Going into SafeMode and adding an additional username and password may assist with the issue of not having any username and password, but it will not solve the issue of autologin and the need to hit "other user". The above fix will.

9. kwsanders

kwsanders Bit poster

Excellent! These steps worked perfectly. Thanks for posting.

10. PhilippeA

PhilippeA Bit poster

Great! Worked perfectly for me too!! Thx a lot!

11. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

After all this time, this bug still exists in PD. This fix works great for anyone who installs Win 10 final release and gets a user on boot with incorrect password, even though it's not. Just flip that switch! Nothing to fear in using regedit.

12. johnb30

johnb30 Bit poster

my windows 7 on parallels 5 for mac doesn't give me any access options on the login screen. no search, no easy access. no way to access regedit.

13. XacerdorO

XacerdorO Bit poster

I think there is a high probability that someone else changed the password of Windows 7 ,otherwise it is difficult to explain the trouble,determines whether the password entered is case sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2019
  14. DasertK

DasertK Bit poster

Rule out anything,the password can be removed from Windows 7 computer(It doesn't matter if the password is changed or forgotten).

15. JacquesJ

JacquesJ Bit poster

Follow the solution i gave here to remove the password from Windows 7 computer.

16. JacquesJ

JacquesJ Bit poster

Follow the solution i gave here to remove the password from Windows 7 computer,what surprised me was that it was compatible with other operating systems at the same time.