Windows setup for parallels 9

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DominicMcE, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DominicMcE

DominicMcE Bit poster

Hello,
    I have just bought parallels 9,i'm up and running and i'm looking some help in setting up windows.

On the trial version of Parallels 8,i had two screens and i could swipe the trackpad to switch between mac and windows screen.

Now windows and mac are together,can someone help as how i change this so they are separate screens and i have to swipe the trackpad to switch screen?

Also parallels is starting up when i boot mac,i would i like start parallels manually.

Can anyone help

Thanks Dom

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

By describing 'Windows and Mac are together', do you mean that your VM doesn't run in fullscreen nor in windowed mode but OS X windows and Windows' windows are together on the same desktop with the OS X program bar at the top and the Windows taskbar at the bottom? If so, your Parallels installation uses coherence to merge Windows and Mac desktops. You can switch it off by using CMD+TAB to chose the MS-Windows icon with the two red bars. The Mac OS program bar at the top then shows 'Windows 7' (or whatever version of Windows you're using) with a menu item similar to 'display' (I'm German and only know the German item name). There is an option under that menu item saying 'leave coherence'. Click on this option and you are done.

You can then change the VM's startup appearance in the VM's configuration dialogue under Options/Start and Shutdown (Again a rough translation of the German item names). Chose 'as last time' for the startup appearance.

I don't know of a command that causes Parallels to start an system startup. But if it happens, you can got to your OS X system settings/Users and Groups and then on the right side 'startup items' (after clicked at the right user on the left side). If there's a Parallels entry in the list, you can delete it with the minus icon.

3. DominicMcE

DominicMcE Bit poster

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.I have the startup sorted.

I'm new to parallels so i not sure how any of it works.

On the trial of parallels 8 windows and mac desktops where on different screens.
    I could switch between the two by swiping the trackpad from left to right never having to close or minimising one of them

I found it easier to work with

4. lotw

lotw Product Expert

If you go full screen with the VM it should still work that way or add a second desktop and place he VM on the second one.

5. DominicMcE

DominicMcE Bit poster

Thanks for your reply.

The vm is in full screen.

How do you setup a second desktop?

6. lotw

lotw Product Expert

Open up mission control, with apples trackpad 4 finger up, once that is done hover mouse pointer near top right of screen and you'll see the + to add

7. DominicMcE

DominicMcE Bit poster

Thanks I've tried to set up second desktop and it seems to work fine.

It's a nightmare compared with the way parallels 8 worked.