Strange noise when starting Windows apps since upgrade to Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Billymac231, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Billymac231

Billymac231 Member

Hi,

I've been running Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop on my MacBook Pro, which itself is running OS X 10.8.3.

Until last week, when I had Parallels 7, everything was pretty well fine. But since I upgraded to Parallels 8, each time I click on a Windows app in my Dock to launch it I hear a very brief, very unpleasant noise. It's like a short burst of static or radio interference.

I haven't a clue where to start looking for a rectification for this. Can anyone help please?

2. Jeremy Bernstein

Jeremy Bernstein Member

I can confirm this on two different machines and several (Windows) VMs. It's been the case through the last several Parallels 8 updates. It's such an obvious issue that I simply (wrongly) assumed that the Parallels folks would take care of it in a timely fashion.

Best, Jeremy

3. Billymac231

Billymac231 Member

Thanks Jeremy.

Nice to know it's not just me. I guess I'll go onto chat support or whatever.

Cheers.

4. RSW1981

RSW1981 Bit poster

I have the same problem here.... now upgrading from 8 to parallels 9

If someone find the solution, please post. I really hate this noise.

workaround turn off the sound :(

5. Billymac231

Billymac231 Member

Can you let us know how you get on with 9 please? The only solution I found in the end was to revert back to 7, which cured it of course. I can't remember whether I was ever offered a refund for 8, so I'm not willing to go up to 9 without some reassurance...

6. FreeTibet

FreeTibet Bit poster

Hi everyone. The noise happens for me also. I am on Parallels 9.0.2 [MacBook Pro Retina on OSX 10.9.4]. Was hoping it would be fixed in the Parallels July 2014 update but no such luck. The noise sounds like a "machine gun" noise - can go for up to 7 seconds sometimes. Gets plenty of unwanted attention and unhappy responses from colleagues in the office and especially when in a meeting room :-( It is when I switch into a VM - my best attempt to pin point what causes it is that it happens when there have been some Windows notifications happen in the background. E.g. when MS Outlook has Appointment Reminders prompts that have occurred when I wasn't "in" the VM. My best guess so far. So I keep SOund turned OFF all the time unless I need it. Pretty sucky :-(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. WadeG

WadeG Junior Member

Same problem here. This has been going on for years. I've tried many many times to fix this and it's some kind of bug the Parallel boys don't know how to fix. I've been on tech calls numerous times and they just go through the same old crap with no real fix. They'll want to you reinstall Windows and a bunch of other nonsense. Don't fall for it. You just have to live with it unless they've magically figured this out in the last 6 months but didn't tell anyone. Sometimes I think my speakers are going to blow.

8. NReilingh

NReilingh Bit poster

I've had this happen on a daily basis on the one computer I run Parallels on. A few months ago I started trialing VMWare fusion on some other machines, and let me tell you, I know what MY "resolution" to this problem is going to be. None of that annoying "spend five seconds "resizing" the display whenever I hit mission control" garbage, either. And guess what -- it's crossgrade season!

9. WyattC

WyattC Bit poster

Hello Parallels???? Where is the fix to this issue. It is now 2016 and my brand new mac laptop with Windows 7 and Newest version of Parallels is having this same issue as my last macbook pro and previous version of parallels...
    A response is necessary.

10. MihaiE

MihaiE Member

I am having this issue for years now as well, on both a MacBook Pro Retina 2012 and a desktop. Not surprised that Parallels is deaf to important complaints like this (the intensity is not dependent on volume, so you cannot get rid of it no matter what) and prefer to release useless stuff like "take screenshot" tools in PD 12. Hellooooo! When will I be able to develop in Windows (under Parallels) without having to use earplugs? Maybe in 2030, what do you think???

11. DryDoc

DryDoc Bit poster

I was so hoping that this was due to using a very slow/old MacBook. I have a new MacBook Pro and to my surprise it is happening again. I had not read thru this thread before so I was not aware that this has been going on since 2013. Certainly makes me want to look into Fusion.

12. Hi guys, and did you try to turn on the "No sounds" theme in Windows and check the issue?

13. JohnM41

JohnM41 Bit poster

Hi, I have exactly the same machine gun sound when I use Windows 7 in Parallels However when I switch off Windows (but keep Parallels active) I get no noise, so is this Parallels or Windows. Of course, I won't be upgrading Parallels as a result, but that won't necessarily be their fault, more likely it's a Windows thing.