Download link for previous build (9.0.23046) ? Please!!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Olivier, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

I hope to download the previous build (9.0.23046 instead of 9.0.23062).
    Here is why.
    Yesterday evening, with 23046, I upgraded my W8 to W8.1 without issues.
    Today morning I bought 4 PD9 licenses to upgrade my partners and do the same.
    I happened to download 23062 without immediately seeing that was a newer build than mine.
    They upgraded their PD8 to PD9 (23062) then we attempted their W8 to W8.1 upgrade.
    These are perfectly licensed W8 / W8.1 Enterprise licensed, correctly activated, and the like.
    On their computers : W8.1 setup very quickly concludes that it failed validating the product key. (Kind of short and cryptic message that does not say anything useful).
    Same W8, same W8.1 iso, same hardware setup for the host, same VM settings : it worked for me on 23046, it fails on them with 23062.
    I wonder what possibly could have changed between both builds that could have an incidence on W8.1 upgrade setup, but I'd really like to downgrade at least one of their PD9 configurations to 23046, uninstall tools, re-install 23046 tools and re-attempt the 8.1 upgrade...

Thanks!

2. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Olivier,

I would suggest reaching out and opening a support ticket for this with Tech Support. Windows 8.1 is still in preview and technically not supported at this time but it would be great for us to get to know what happened when you did do the upgrade so we can further investigate.

Thanks!

Chris

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Chris,

Don't take that personally but I'm not very much enthusiastic to move this to "support" right now. I have too few information until I have been able to test with the previous build. If I get access to that build (unfortunately I wiped my old downloads hours before being aware of this issue - else I wouldn't even be asking).

What we are speaking of here is NOT Windows 8.1 "preview" but the RTM code, readily available through multiple official channels, including MSDN. And more specifically the 'Enterprise (N)' version released 2 days ago by Microsoft to its partners. Unless there are late fixes, this is the binary that will reach the shelves in october.

People at Parallels can do the test very easily. Install PD 9.0.23062 on a Mountain Lion host, with the last released updates installed. Download from MSDN the ISO for "Windows 8 Enterprise N 64 bits". Take the English or the French one, no matter (we used the French one though). Install a VM, activate the license key which you get for that version from MSDN download area.

Then download from MSDN the Windows 8.1 (NOT the preview) ISO for "Enterprise N 64 bits". Take the same language that your 8.0 was. Attach the ISO to the virtual DVD, and run setup. Within seconds you will get an error about not being able to validate the product key.

With build 23046, the day before, I had NO issue doing exactly that. The day after it is failing on the 4 other computers where we are doing the same steps, this time with 23062. We would have loved to test for you by removing 23062, re-installing 23046 and see if it fixes the issue.

But well... We're friday and if I open this today with support, by monday I will get a message asking me if I have read this or that KB article (probably irrelevant to the issue) and we'll be nowhere.

We have decided on another plan to move quicker today : we are installing the latest Fusion version, converting one of those W8 Parallels VM and will see if the 8.1 updates goes better with them. If it's ok, then we will simply have to re-convert back to Parallels after the upgrades have all been performed. If it fails too, then we will know that somehow the issue is related to something weird in those 4 VM and host computers and not to Parallels.

I promise I will report the detailed outcome of this, eventually to support if needed, after findings confirmed or dismissed.
    Yours,

4. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Some progress report... Converting the problematic VM to Fusion does not solve the issue.
    We will now spend time extracting older backups where those computers had PD8 and re-attempt the update.
    It might be a pure "Windows" issue, but it is very odd that on 4 VM with the same set of Windows and tools, one succeeded and three failed that upgrade.
    We'll get to end line of this, if possible. Microsoft has already started (today) to push Windows Updates to Windows 8.1 installations, so they might as well put out changes to their setup.exe (as it can check online for setup updates before proceeding).

5. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Olivier,

I just sent you a PM -

Chris