Parallels 8 cannot share Mac files with Windows 8.1!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cyberholic, Oct 18, 2013.

1. cyberholic

cyberholic Bit poster

I upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 today. When Windows 8.1 was installed, I cannot access Mac files and folders any longer! Here is what the windows 8.1 tell me: "Network Error: Windows can not access \\psf\Home\Documents"

2. hawthorn

hawthorn Bit poster

I had this problem but I solved it by uninstalling Parallels Tools (from Control Panel > Programs & Features) and then reinstalling Parallels Tools from the Parallels Virtual Machine menu. It also solved another problem by restoring the ability to use 2 displays.

3. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

I had a similar problem wherein QuickBooks 2013 could not find the company file which resides in a Shared Folder on my Mac. Indeed It was not necessary to JUST reinstall Parallels Tools but to go to the Windows 8.1 Control Panel and use the Programs & Features section to uninstall Parallels Tools before reinstallling them in order to get this working again. Just reinstalling Parallels Tools without uninstalling them first brings no joy in this case and in most cases. Otherwise, so far so good except I am going to need to reinstall some printers.

4. sjsherratt

sjsherratt Junior Member

I am stuck. Can not get Parallels Tools reinstalled. I performed the Win 8.1 upgrade, then went to try to get my mapping restored to the Y: drive for my "shared" drive (folder on my Mac). I could not find my shared folder. So following the advice here, went to Control Panel (Wn 8.1) and Uninstalled Parallels Tools and rebooted everything. I am trying to re-install Parallels Tools, but am being prompted for a CD. I can not find pro-tools-win.iso anywhere on my computer (I have looked in all of the Library files). I have also looked for it on a different Mac that also has Parallels 9, and can't find this .iso file. Any ideas how to proceed with getting Parallels Tools installed again for Parallels 9 & Win 8.1 ?

5. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

My first take on this is that your Parallels installation is somehow corrupted. You can easily uninstall Parallels and reinstall Parallels without losing your configuration settings or deleting your Virtual Machine image. That said, I have no idea of your level of confidence and would strongly recommend that you backup before proceeding with this. I would be very surprised if this did not fix your problem. I have never looked for an iso file in connection with Parallels 8 or 9. I just did so and did not find one on my machine either. Best wishes for success in getting this fixed!

6. sjsherratt

sjsherratt Junior Member

Thank you Gary. Good news ... I was able to reinstall Parallels. I shut everything completely down and came back to it later, and when I started everything up and tried to install Parallels Tools, the .iso image was no longer greyed out ... so was able to reinstall. I still can not find the referenced .iso image on my computer, but somehow Parallels figured out how to re-install Parallels Tools from the phantom .iso image ... Happy to report I didn't have to completely reinstall Parallels. -Scott

7. Peter Payne

Peter Payne Bit poster

Got it, thanks

Uninstalling and re-installing Parallels Tools worked for me.