PD9 Windows 8.1 in Coherence Clicking New Windows Start menu crashes OSX 10.9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JBRPSSD, Nov 11, 2013.

1. JBRPSSD

JBRPSSD Bit poster

Hello anybody experiencing this?
    PD9 and Windows 8.1 in coherence, when clicking on the New Windows Start menu (lower left corner of screen) causes OSX 10.9 to crash (logs out) and reports the following (error below) in console.

If I enable the use Windows 7 feature in PD9, which replaces the default Windows start button this problem does not occur. I prefer to continue to use the native Windows Metro UI.

Thanks!

j

Process: WindowServer [504]
    Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer
    Identifier: WindowServer
    Version: 599.7
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [1]
    Responsible: WindowServer [504]
    User ID: 88

Date/Time: 2013-11-10 22:38:50.839 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: E62D83A2-DA4E-30FD-81F1-214FF882564B

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

2. Christopher Rutter

Christopher Rutter Bit poster

I also have same issue, come on parallels please fix soon...

3. iterry

iterry Bit poster

Running Mavericks, PD8, 8.1

Same issue here. Very difficult to work around because system crashes just by having mouse over start button.

4. Christopher Rutter

Have contacte Parallels support and provided crash debugs, they've escalated to technical so hopefully will get addressed in next update.

5. scott29

scott29 Bit poster

Is there any update on this or projected fix date? This bug has made Parallels almost impossible to use and I am contemplating a refund of the software. Multiple times a day I end up accidentally going to the lower left corner and crashing my Mac. It is unbelievable how these types of issues make it out of "testing".

6. Christopher Rutter

Parallels support have been in touch and the latest update for PD9 resolves this it became available on the 10th Dec for me as an update, I have my update settings set to daily so it should be this week if you have the auto update set to weekly, or simply manually check for updates or redownload the latest build.

I can confirm the issue (or for me at least) is completely resolved on both an MDP13 and MDP15 both retina haswell machines running latest update with windows 8.1.

There should be a thread being published in the release notes with more details.

And the update does list the issue as the first hotfix on the summary through the update process.

Hope this helps

Chris

7. Mat--E

Mat--E Bit poster

I'm running a freshly installed and updated PD9.0.24172 (Revision 951362 - 12/3/2013) and Win8.1 on a 2 month old MDP15 retina/haswell and can reliably reproduce this fault. Is there a hotfix I need to download and apply somewhere? Both Parallels and Win8.1 are reporting they are 'up to date'. TIA.

8. Christopher Rutter

Hi Mat--E,

For me it was the update to PD9.0.24172 from Parallels that resolved the issue for me on MDP13 Retina/Haswell, the only further suggestion i have is to check your Video settings in parallels, i opted for 1024Mb, 3d Direct X 10, Vert Sync but haven't enabled Retina Resolution in the VM; and finally just uninstall and reinstall the parallels tools.

If this doesn't work i'd recommend raising with Parallels support, the initial help will be a bit frustrating as the suggestions i were given were obvious, like reinstall, reboot, update etc; but once i had the issue escalated to the technical team the resolution for me was pretty quick; my only criticism is once it hits the technical team it goes quiet; but having seen a few thing resolved this way its worth doing.

If you go trawling for the parallels crash logs you will be able to see an exception somewhere in the log file, if you can find it, it will help technical pinpoint the issue; they will probably ask you to run a couple of times and send over the log; they'll give you instructions on what to do (or at least did for me).

Hope you get a resolution soon

Chris

9. Mat--E

Mat--E Bit poster

Unfortunately it's not Parallels that's crashing, it's the wdm. It just dies: no trace left behind. For now, I just run in Window'd mode. I'd love to work the issue with Parallels but just don't have the time.