Can't activate or uninstall Kaspersky Antivirus for Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Terry729, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Terry729

Terry729 Member

I keep getting messages from Kaspersky AV for Mac. It says it can update unless I activate; when I click on the Activate button, nothing happens.
    I have tried following the instructions in the downloading and using the uninstall tool. After I do it, I'm told that it's uninstalled, but the K is still on my menubar and I still get the Activate messages. Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try the steps as mentioned below in order to activate Kaspersky.

- Go to Kaspersky website https://my.kaspersky.com/‎‎ and log-in to Kaspersky account.
    - Add the Activation code and register the license key in the Kaspersky account.
    - Then completely shut down the Kaspersky program.
    - Now start the Kaspersky application and activate it with the activation key.

Hope the above steps helps you in activating Kaspersky AV for Mac.

3. Terry729

Terry729 Member

I don't have a Kaspersky Account, Activation Code or License Key. This software just came with the computer or with Parallels. I thought clicking activate would lead me to a page where I could pay for activation if I wanted to. At this point I just want to get rid of this nusance once and for all. I have other AV software that I want to install.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. Terry729

Terry729 Member

I have tried three times to upload the screenshot from my computer, twice from Dropbox and once from mypictures and each time I get an error. Here's the dropbox link to the screenshot. I'm sure that it's on the Mac. Also looking at the two references, it appears that they both refer to the same tool, which is the one I have used. I appreciate the help. I need to go right now, but will be back later today to try the two approaches and respond to any other suggestions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obhsnatu22mtub2/Screenshot 2014-04-26 09.20.57.png

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

* Yes, I confirm it's Kaspersky Security for Mac.
    * No, the two links for the uninstall tools of KS and KIS lead to two different zip files.
    * Use the second link, the KS one, because that's what you have, not KIS: https://support.kaspersky.com/8366

Personal Note: I have no idea why they make it so confusing by having slightly similar names, by not having KS kbs easily reachable and by not having an universal uninstallation tool.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. Terry729

Terry729 Member

Thank you. I'll get the correct tool, try it, and report back later today.

8. Terry729

Terry729 Member

I clicked on the KS link. It downloaded the same tool I've using. I tried it again. It said that it had totally uninstalled Kaspersky Security. I rebooted the computer and Kaspersky is back. The uninstaller doesn't seem to uninstall it. I can't find it in the Finder or I'd move it to the trash. This is exactly what I've been doing each time I try to get rid of it.

9. Terry729

Terry729 Member

In the past, I've quit Kaspersky before using the uninstaller, and it didn't work. This time I ran the uninstaller with the screenshot shown in the above message on the screen and the K in the menu bar. When I ran it and it told me that Kaspersky was uninstalled, nothing had changed. This thing doesn't appear to do anything. I think that this is at the level of a major annoyance, but I'd like to stop it.

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I suggest you contact them.