Parallels Tools 9.0.24229 and Kali 1.0.7

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by GRMrGecko, May 28, 2014.

1. GRMrGecko

GRMrGecko Bit poster

Hello, I need help with getting Kali to work with Parallels Tools. I believe that I previously had luck by doing an upgrade after I had 1.0.6, however I do not have the iso for 1.0.6 to try it out again and I have limited bandwidth right now.

Code:
    uname -a
    Linux kali 3.14-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.4-1kali1 (2014-05-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Thanks for help.

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi GRMrGecko,

Please follow the steps suggested below:

Note: this was performed on Kali 1.0.6 amd64 which was downloaded from here:
    http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-latest/amd64/kali-linux-1.0.6-amd64.iso Note: all procedures were performed under root user.

1. Install Kali with default partitioning.
    2. Edit /etc/apt/sources. list to have the necessary repositories as described here: http://docs.kali.org/general-use/kali-linux-sources-list-repositories
    3. In Terminal: 'apt-get update'
    4. In Mac menu bar, select 'Virtual Machine'->'Install Parallels Tools'.
    5. In Terminal: 'mkdir ~/Desktop/tools && cd ~/Desktop/tools && cp -r /media/cdrom/* . && chmod -R 777 . && ./install'
    6. Parallels Tools installation should start. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process and reboot.

3. GRMrGecko

GRMrGecko Bit poster

So I do have to install 1.0.6 at first. Then I guess I can do a distribution upgrade to get to 1.0.7.

4. GRMrGecko

GRMrGecko Bit poster

Guess this means I do need to install 1.0.6 first, then upgrade.

5. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi GRMrGecko,

Please install Kali Linux 1.0.7 and follow the steps which were provided to you initially.

6. GRMrGecko

GRMrGecko Bit poster

First, sorry for double post. That happens when I don't see post take effect.

1.0.7 does not work with the above. 1.0.6 does. I am at college now so I was able to test both.

Running 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on 1.0.6 to upgrade to 1.0.7 does not work. Booting off old kernel 3.12 works, but not 3.14.

I can go into recovery of the 1.0.7 install and run commands to try to fix if you wish.

7. wysegy66

wysegy66 Bit poster

Has anyone successfully installed Parallels Tools (latest version) on Kali 1.0.7?
    I had 1.0.6 and the latest Parallels and Tools and everything was OK. As soon as I did a dis-upgrade to 1.0.7 I get a black screen when I boot.
    Tried a fresh install of 1.0.7 and it's OK until you load Parallels Tools at which point you get a black screen after boot.

8. GRMrGecko

GRMrGecko Bit poster

Notice my post above said after dist upgrade I was able to boot with the older kernel selected from grub.

9. kevindelong

kevindelong Bit poster

Not working in 1.0.7

I did try the above steps with Kali 1.0.7 with Kernel 3.14, however after the installation of Parallels Tools, Kali boots (after grub) to a black screen as others have gotten. I am hoping this is fixed soon as I just upgraded to v9 hoping it would resolve the issue... it did not....

10. kevindelong

kevindelong Bit poster

I did attempt the above steps with no luck one Kali 1.0.7 with Kernel 3.14. After the installation of Parallels Tools (which installed fine), Kali boots to a black screen. I think this is the same result that others are getting when using the 3.14 Kernel. Suggestions or ideas? Otherwise I will go back to 1.0.6 with Kali and wait until Tools are updated for the newer Kernel.

11. Banned

Same here. Kali boots to a black screen for Kali 1.0.7.

12. Iperzampem0

Iperzampem0 Bit poster

Hi, I'm having the same issue (black screen after boot) after the installation of the tools on Kali 1.0.7....
    Is there a way to install the 3.12 kernel via recovery? Thx

13. Banned

Problem solved in Parallels Tools 9.0.24237. Thanks a lot!