Parallels Desktop 9 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite (as a guest OS) compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Jun 3, 2014.

1. JulioC

JulioC Bit poster

And the thing is they need to react before the Yosemite Public Beta is made available. Remember that even though Yosemite is in beta, REAL average joe customers are signed up for it, they won't understand the beta stuff, just that they installed something Apple offered them and PD doesn't work on it. They are gonna have a pretty rough time if they don't get ready before the public beta lands.

2. DRazor

DRazor Bit poster

Same here...

I'm in the same boat as you. Under Parallels 8 I tried creating a virtual machine using 10.9.3 and couldn't get that to work, so I never even attempted Yosemite. I'll wait until Parallels 10 is released just after the official release of 10.10.

3. ejboyd

ejboyd Bit poster

Until Parallels can meet my needs, these instructions worked for me to test Yosemite as a guest OS in virtualbox: http://pastebin.com/rFmQvFWc

4. SvenAndreas

SvenAndreas Bit poster

Close. But... no Yosemite folders are visible to Windows 8.1. That means there isn't a drivespace-friendly way to do Dropbox.

5. SPX

SPX Junior Member

It taken them quit some time to get Yosemite support... :(

6. JonRosen

JonRosen Bit poster

Heck, Parallels doesn't even have Mavericks support anymore. Installing Mavericks as a guest OS broke under 10.9.3. The issue has been escalated to the development team, but it feels like the issue was dropped into a black hole, as they don't give any updates on their progress.

7. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Member

Keeping subscribed to this thread in hopes of hearing about an update to Parallels that will allow me to access it under Yosemite.

8. svoida

svoida Bit poster

Unfortunately, I think you've subscribed to the wrong thread. This one is about running OS X Yosemite (and, apparently, the current version of OS X Mavericks) as a guest virtual machine inside of Parallels, not about running Parallels to host other operating systems from within an OS X Yosemite installation. (Don't worry; even the Parallels support folks seem to have a tenuous grasp on the difference at the moment, given the post that kicked off the thread.)

9. JasonBeee

JasonBeee Bit poster

That's what I did...works. Slowly but it works which is all we needed for now to test app compatibility in quarantined builds. FYI for thos ein terested in our workflow and why we needed the ability to run Yosemite as a guest:

1) Install Yosemite
    2) create snapshot (or template/backup).
    3) Run the Yosemite VM.
    4) Install corp packaged software #1.
    5) Reboot and test installed software. Check server side logs for errors. Use as normally expected.
    6) log issues, or if applicable file bug in internal bug tracker against new OS pending GM.
    7) report overt bugs to Apple if warranted.
    8) shut down VM and close log.

Rinse and repeat for each package we have to test. The reason we use a snapshotted VM is so we can isolate issues before the come up. Rebuilding or re-imaging a desktop can be very very slow compared to this kind of workflow. Good luck all you testers out there.

And remember - if you're unsure of the difference between host and guest OS, ignore this thread and wait until Parallels releases their final product on the publicly released Golden Master of 10.10 ;)

10. lastlos

lastlos Bit poster

the update is already out, but without any statement and it also doesn't show up if you check for updates within parallels. Just redownload from the website. I can at least confirm that the latest build of 10.9.4 with Parallels Tools is working fine.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-07-07 um 18.32.36.png

11. cdepner

cdepner Bit poster

Doesn't appear to fix anything related to booting Yosemite as a guest though, sadly. Still stuck at the blue darwin boot loader screen.

12. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite is now supported with Parallels Desktop 9. Please download and install the latest update for Parallels Desktop 9 available.

To update Parallels Desktop 9, Please refer this link http://kb.parallels.com/111603

Please let us know, if you have any additional questions. We're happy to help you.

13. cdepner

cdepner Bit poster

I assume that you mean Yosemite as a host OS is now supported (please see my previous comment, just above yours). It would appear that Yosemite as a guest is still not working, unless I am missing something.

14. SPX

SPX Junior Member

So how to get Yosemite installed in a VM?

I have "Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app" and then??

15. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

That is correct.
    For those of you who want to run Parallels Desktop on Yosemite, it now should work.
    Yosemite as a guest OS (in a virtual machine) isn't yet supported and our engineering team is working on it.

16. SPX

SPX Junior Member

@Andrew, what is taking so long? We are waiting to run Yosemite in a VM and not the running Parallels on Yosemite. Just like JasonBeee his example.

17. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

Yep, this is what I've been waiting for - Yosemite as a guest.

18. jebworks

jebworks Member

Yes, I can only echo that. More important to me - and I'm surely not alone - is Yosemite as a guest OS on Parallels 9 not the other way round.
    The purpose of Parallels for me is a) to run Windows and b) to test update versions of Mac OS when they're in beta before installing them as my main OS on full public release. I think that's what most people want.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  19. gobluejd

gobluejd Bit poster

I can not believe that VM Fusion and a few free VM's will run Yosemite as a guest. Please fix.

20. JonRosen

JonRosen Bit poster

Yosemite? What about Mavericks?

Andrew,

Mavericks still does not work as a guest OS under Mavericks under Parallels 9. I filed that support ticket over a month ago and still no response from your engineering team. This is supposed to be a supported feature of your current product. When will it be fixed?