Does v10 Fix Coherence Full Screen Window Shifting on Focus?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by elmnoise, Aug 21, 2014.

1. elmnoise

elmnoise Bit poster

In v9 if you were in Coherence mode and put one of the windows in full screen, every time you did an cmd-tab back to that window the screen would shift around for a few seconds as if it was getting a new resolution. It was very annoying, and the main reason I rarely use Parallels now. Can someone tell me if this was fixed in v10?

2. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

It seems to be so far. However I have annoying issue I'm running to today in Coherence where if you click on a window to change focus, you're unable to type in it unless you screw around with CMD-TAB/ALT-TAB a little. I was about to submit a bug report in fact.

All in all the new version does feel faster and the above issue is the only thing I've run into in the 24 hours since I installed. I'm a pretty heavy user also....

3. amitparmar

amitparmar Bit poster

I have the same issue. I had it in v9 and just upgraded to v10 and the same issue persists. I have tried it on a new image and reinstalled parallels too.Nothing seems to work.

4. elmnoise

elmnoise Bit poster

Confirmed - it's still a problem.

5. FaronS

FaronS Bit poster

Yes - this is a really, really annoying issue in PD 10 that's making me want to downgrade. Any updates on a resolution??

6. cderooij

cderooij Bit poster

The same here, when possible I really like to downgrade and upgrade again when they solved this (and some more annoying things)
    Although it seems that the performance is better then V9

7. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

It would help if you make a screen recording which explains this issue. You can elaborate on other Coherence mode issues as well.

8. cderooij

cderooij Bit poster

I'll try to explain whats the case: After working with some programs, switching between MAC and Windows more and more "fixed backgrounds" (this are "areas" at the same size of a program used in Windows but only showing my windows background in that size) are visual and when I want to switch to Windows with "CMD-TAB" these "backgrounds" get the focus and not the program where I want to switch to.
    PD10.jpg

9. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

Are those 'boxes' permanent or just undrawn windows?
    Please make a problem report (http://kb.sp.parallels.com/9058) and try to describe the scenario to reproduce the issue.

10. amitparmar

amitparmar Bit poster

I have attached the screen recording for your reference. Keep an eye on the top of the screen and the screen shifting every time you slide out and come back to parallels.

Amit

[video=youtube_share;wzvCQj_JpiY]http://youtu.be/wzvCQj_JpiY[/video]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  11. amitparmar

amitparmar Bit poster

[video=youtube_share;wzvCQj_JpiY]http://youtu.be/wzvCQj_JpiY[/video]

Please find the screen capture attached

12. amitparmar

amitparmar Bit poster

Screen capture link

http://youtu.be/wzvCQj_JpiY

13. cderooij

cderooij Bit poster

--> I have made and send the report 49396545

14. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

Thanks. We got a couple of reports like that but were unable to reproduce the issue yet.
    The part of window that turned into "box" does not seem like Outlook window.

Do you have any Outlook add-ins (BCM, ACT!, etc.)? Can you try running Outlook under different user account or different PC, without autorun / group policy programs?

15. cderooij

cderooij Bit poster

The part on the left-bottom is exactly the "preview" window that I'm using on Outlook and is always there when I minimize the Outlook program.
    The "big" part is the Outlook window complete (that's not really easy to reproduce :)).

I'm not able to test this as you request, I'm only using an add-in from "Advanced security" from MAPILAB

I hope that this is enough to work with.

16. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

It looks like the discussion has shifted from what I understand the original question to be. And that is, when using (in coherence mode) one window in full screen mode, why the app looks like it re-adjusts its resolution the whole time. The following KB article, which attempts to defend another related issue, shows what changed in PD 9: http://kb.parallels.com/en/117062. But it shows, all too naively, why we get this jumping.

Bottom line, is that despite complaining in PD 9, and despite feedback as a beta tester in PD10, Parallels have decided to ignore this. I understand their logic, but I believe it to be flawed. It's flawed because of an assumption that most people are running windows in full screen or in a window on a huge monitor. It's also flawed, because Parallels appear to focus on the technical side and not the user experience.

In 2012, three out of every four macs sold as a MacBook (and that surely as increased over time). So, most of us ARE using MacBooks. It's also been proven that most people are running Parallels to be able to run Microsoft Office (in particular Excel, whose Mac version is woefully lacking). So, it makes sense we want to move from a full screen windowed office app in Parallels back to Finder or Apple Mail or Apple Calendar. Or even to a non-full screen Windows Explorer.

But, to do that, we have to suffer the constant re-adjustment of the resolution.

I don't mean to be rude, but I find it almost pathetic that a year later we are still at the same point.

So, to answer the original question: No! It has not changed. I can confirm that the adjustment has sped up over the time of PD9 and PD10 betas. But it's still there, and it's just as annoying.

17. Cyberic

Cyberic Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I confirm that the same bug persists in PD10.
    I just upgraded and lost another $50 for a second year now (as I also reported it as soon as I upgraded from PD8 to PD9).

Back in December 2013, I logged the bug and had a few sessions with Parallels support which reproduced it and escalated to the "developers" but it never got fixed.

And now it still isn't fixed.

I want to use Coherence with Full Screen apps because on a MacBook Air 11" you just cannot do without it.

Parallels, if you are listening, please please please fix this annoying bug.

Regards,
    Eric

18. Cyberic

Cyberic Junior Member

Capture d’écran 2014-09-15 à 13.27.11.png
    This is what shows in Coherence when switching back to a Full Screen application.

Then the window resizes to occupy top part (menu bar space) and bottom part (dock space).
    Except that in Full Screen, there is no menu bar or dock, so clearly a bug (PD should be aware that the app is in full screen and ignore the menu/dock space).
    And each time you switch back & forth, it does it again...

19. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

The situation should be better with Parallels Desktop 10.1 update. There should be no window shifting when you're switching between fullscreen apps.

20. amitparmar

amitparmar Bit poster

The windows don't shift if all the applications are in full screen. If one application is in full screen and the other is not then windows still shift. Maybe for the next update you fix this bug.