iMac 5K Retina, OSX 10 and Parallels 10 - Display Configuration

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MikeW2, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MikeW2

MikeW2 Bit poster

Hello, I have a new, high spec iMac with 27" 5K Retina Display. I plan to use Parallels for flight simulation using X-Plane including Flight School which requires X-Plane running under Windows. My Windows version is XP. I am struggling (to put it mildly) to find the right combination of Windows and Parallels configuration settings to produce an optimal full screen display, i.e., achieving high resolution and a full or near full size screen with sensible sized desktop icons. Has anyone managed to achieve this or have advice about what to do or not do?
    Most grateful to anyone who can stop me beating my brains out.
    Mike

2. BernardH

BernardH Junior Member

Hello Mike,
    Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I too have just bought the iMac 27" 5K Retina Display with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB Graphics.
    I am using Parallels Version 10.1.4 (28883) with Windows 8.1 Professional.
    I cannot get Parallels to use my preferred resolution of 3840 x 2160 in Windows.
    I have tried lots of combinations of settings in Parallels and Windows without success.
    I too would be grateful if anyone can help.
    Bernie

3. JCGIshman

JCGIshman Bit poster

same here, need better resolution support in P10, bought nice wide screen 1080 monitors and its like having low res on P10, so much for saving space and getting more landscape, nope.

BernardH likes this.
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

XP has no support for HiDPI displays.

5. JosephC1

JosephC1 Bit poster

So ...

Is this the end of it ??? Isn't there a solution to solve this problem ???

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

MS introduced HiDPI support in Windows 8, if I'm not mistaken.

7. MikeW2

MikeW2 Bit poster

Thank you everyone for your comments so far but we seem to be missing the point. The question was how does one set up [to run X-Plane] the "right combination of Windows and Parallels configuration settings to produce an optimal full screen display, i.e., achieving high [make that 'best'] resolution and a full or near full size screen with sensible sized desktop icons?". We have one useful contribution, that Windows XP does not support HiDPI displays but Windows 8 (we think) does. But what about all the other parameters? Some X-Plane in Parallels user must, surely, have done this before or can someone, at least, give us poor mini brains a steer as to the sequence one must follow? Where is the proper place to start, what parameter must one set first before setting the next one, What must one not do or must do always? I currently use Windows XP but I am happy for someone to tell me, for example, you really need to use xxx (whatever) for this purpose.
    Anyway, I eagerly await to hear from you and I thank you in anticipation. Mike

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support